Take the long way home

valve stems(Read 4544 times)
valve stems on: January 03, 2009, 10:22:21 PM
I haven't been on the board much lately.  Too busy, but I do try to read a few posts now and then.  Seems there was a discussion about valve stems but I could not find it, so I'll just start over.  I have a 90 degree valve stem on the rear tire since it is near impossible to get air into a straight one.  I put a new rear tire on and within a few weeks the valve stem cracked.  I did not have a new stem put on when the tire was replaced, I know I should have.  so I had the stem replaced the end of May.  On the way home from work today, the stem cracked and the tire went flat.  I know they make other kinds of stems, metal ones that screw in for other bikes.  Does any one know of a better kind that will fit the Magna?  Thanks.

Re: valve stems Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 11:20:06 PM
I use these on my Magna.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/83-Silv-Angled-Aluminum-Valve-Stem-Motorcycle-90-Ariete_W0QQitemZ140290919469QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20081225?IMSfp=TL0812251110002r37225

They are very well built and they come in different colors.  However, they are expensive.  That being said, since they are very solid and made with aluminum, they don't seem to be prone to cracking or corrosion.
1995 Super Duper Magna with VFR engine and CBR wheels and brakes. Fast to go and fast to stop!

Re: valve stems Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 11:29:59 PM
I use a straight valve stem on my Magna.  True, they are harder to access for measurement and inflation, but there are no centrifugal forces working to break the stem off.  Quite the opposite, as the forces are pushing "down" on the stem, trying to force it into the tire.  This is not a problem because the pressure is quite adequate to resist this force.
Lawrence
'96 Blue Austin TX
Ride to Live, Live to Ride longer Wear a Helmet

Re: valve stems Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 12:40:52 AM
Just had this discussion today with a friend of mine I was riding with. He has the metal style  but it comes up higher, than the one above, before making the 90 degree turn. With the metal style that has nuts to secure the stem to the rim you should be okay from pass discussions and my friends experience.     
Terry

My mama always told me never put off till tomorrow people you can kill today.

Allen, TX.

74 GT750 - 75 GT380 – 01 Magna - 03 KX 250-01 – 04 WR 450 - 74 T500 Titan

Re: valve stems Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 01:03:27 AM
Yep 90 degree rubber valve stems have a hard time standing up to the centrifugal forces imposed on them.  I have always stuck with the straight units and found a pressure gauge that I could make work.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 02:07:17 PM by Greg Cothern »
Greg Cothern
00 Valkyrie Interstate
96 Magna 
Previously owned:
87 Super
96 Magna project bike
95 Magna "Pay it forward"   

Re: valve stems Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 05:31:34 AM
I have a metal 90 degree that I had installed 13K miles ago and it is still fine.. It does come up higher than the one in the link.. My wife also has a metal one on her Sabre, but it has a Plastic support, which is a nice touch.
The link provides an excellent option, if $$$ is no object..

Hey.. merrow - If you want to buy one of the link items - it comes with two stems.. I'll buy the other one from you for half what you pay.. I will be re-doing my rear soon and upgrading to this valve stem would be good, but I don't need two of them, I've never had an issue with the front stem being straight and I'm not so worried about having matching valve stems.. Just a thought..
"accidents aren't predictable, don't be a DUMBASS" - MD Dan

Re: valve stems Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 11:32:27 PM
got busy again, I haven't had time to get on the computer.  My husband took the wheel off and since I can get a few more miles out of it, just had a straight valve put on it.  He is looking for a source of right angle valves to order so that when I new get a new tire on, I can put a new valve on.  Thanks so much for the offer, Hootmon, but we may be able to find some a little cheaper.  Since we have 3 bikes, we plan on ordering several.  As a side story, my daughter works at the same place I do when she is not in school.  We bike pool to work together.  The tire went flat on the way home, we were just a few miles from home and were able to limp home.  The next two days we rode my VLX Shadow.  The battery is old, it started and got us to work, but a cold front came in and when we got off work the battery was dead.  No one had cables but a couple of co-workers pushed me and I was able to get it started and get home.  My husband charged the battery and packed the charger on the bike so I could recharge it at work and make it home.  However, my daughter showed up at the house the next morning in her car, no helmet or jacket and said she would drive, guess she doesn't trust me anymore.  But since the Magna is up again we have been riding again.

Re: valve stems Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 01:43:31 AM
Instead of installing a 90° valve stem on the wheel, there is another alternative. A 90° adapter such as this one sold by Calmoto (http://www.calmoto.com/SHOP/71111239258.html) works fine. I have been using one for three years now, and it is very well made and quite durable, and one is small enough that you can tuck it away in the same compartment with the owner's manual. That way, you can stay with straight valve stems, which are much less likely to fail than the 90° stems. The very nature of a 90° valve stem increases the severity of consequences of a failure, because the faster the wheel is turning, the more stress is placed on it and the more likely it is to fail.
Hard as rock. Tough as nails. Dense as concrete.

1995 Honda Magna
2002 Honda Interceptor

Re: valve stems Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 02:05:48 AM
A 90° adapter such as this one sold by Calmoto (http://www.calmoto.com/SHOP/71111239258.html) works fine.

That is the one that was given to me. 
Robert
Better to be exploited then not exploited.
07 Ultra, 07 Boulevard w/ sidecar (2+2=4)

Matthew 13:19 NT ... This is the seed sown along the path

Re: valve stems Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 12:28:44 PM
Adapter is a good idea. I have heard of one made for the BMW's of the world.
I have had a rubber 90' go bad on me also and heard of others, best bet to go with metal, cause the rubber will go any time/any speed....
MOOT#69
Prov. 3:5&6

Re: valve stems Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 02:32:02 AM
Ran across these tonight from the No-Mar site.

85 Degree Valve stem

http://www.nomar-secure.com/product_p/ac-valvestem-85.htm

$4.80

http://www.nomar-secure.com/category_s/4.htm

Terry

Allen, TX.

Re: valve stems Reply #11 on: June 19, 2020, 02:32:37 PM
Just following up on this old thread, which came up in a forum search.

No-Mar is still a great source for good looking, and cheap valve stems.  Just placed an order.  Thanks Terry for sharing!

After 165k+ miles I am finally tired of those straight valve stems lol

Hop Along
Hop Along
No longer in Norman, OK
2003 Magna
2015 DR650, partly sponsored by a 1973 CT-90 and 2005 CRF 230F....

Re: valve stems Reply #12 on: June 22, 2020, 07:17:21 AM
I am tired of those also Hop, I have been using these.

I have to order several sets to get the one I want. I put the red ones on the scooter and black for the Magna. They angle up a bit so it is easy to fill but not up as much as the ones above.

When both of mine looked like they were slashed on the side, I went metal.

Let us know how those work out Scott.

Terry

Allen, TX.