Take the long way home

Regulator Failure's(Read 50772 times)
Re: Regulator Failure's Reply #60 on: February 07, 2017, 08:06:12 PM
Did you do the modification to move it on the side of the bank and if yes have you lost another regulator since you did this?
David L Carrales
Moot #269
McAllen, Tx
1996 VF750C

Re: Regulator Failure's Reply #61 on: February 08, 2017, 06:26:08 PM
David, I have two '96 Magnas, and the one that suffered the failure had not been modified.  I did modify it after the failure, and have not experienced a failure of a unit remounted to the side where they run cooler in almost all scenarios.

What I have yet to do is install voltmeters to monitor the health of the charging systems.  There always seems to be more pressing issues around my place...
Lawrence
'96 Blue Austin TX
Ride to Live, Live to Ride longer Wear a Helmet

Re: Regulator Failure's Reply #62 on: February 09, 2017, 08:38:20 PM
I replaced the regulator on my 99 several years back and left it in the same place. I have not had to replace it since then.
Jesse
Moot #358
'99 Magna (Halloween theme paint job)
Racetech Cartridge Emulators in front forks, Progressive 444s on the rear. Best mods I've ever made to this bike.
Houston

Re: Regulator Failure's Reply #63 on: February 14, 2017, 02:26:25 AM
As soon as I read about the way in which RRs generally fail by increasing voltage so that light flashed etc. i installed a small panel meter displaying voltage and amperage and a shunt. The meter allows me to essentially run the RR tests described in the FSM. I also ditched the analog temp meter and installed a digital version that allows precise monitoring of coolant temp as well as the trip points of the fan switch. I also installed an orange LED that activates when the fan switch is activated and a fan switch override switch in case of fan switch failure. It's like the difference in instrumentation between an old biplane and something modern. These are great old bikes but not to embrace the technological advances that can make them more fun to ride and less of a worry seems misdirected.

Re: Regulator Failure's Reply #64 on: February 14, 2017, 02:43:02 PM
Give us the low down, what temp is the coolant at?
Terry

My mama always told me never put off till tomorrow people you can kill today.

Allen, TX.

74 GT750 - 75 GT380 – 01 Magna - 03 KX 250-01 – 04 WR 450 - 74 T500 Titan

Re: Regulator Failure's Reply #65 on: March 01, 2018, 06:12:29 AM
Most of the time I carry a spare regulator with me.

As do I

Hello my friend.  I don't carry a spare regulator or CDI unit since I've went with the series R&R and I'm currently running a UK CDI unit I had made from the track guys with updated electronics. Of course my bikes are 30 years old so this is the first mods I did to all my Supers.  I run a plug and play unit in my 87 and a programmable unit in my 88's.  Shunt regulators produce more heat where as series doesn't.  Of course I'm not riding in the heat some of you may be riding in but I'm no too easy on the Supers and never have had any issues.  Ran it directly to the battery and stator wires.  I cut out the harness for the in-line regulator originally on the bikes. JMO

A. Mathers