Take the long way home

Engine Kill(Read 34416 times)
Re: Engine Kill Reply #30 on: July 09, 2009, 01:03:01 PM
LOL!!!
Chad Schloss

Perry, Michigan

Re: Engine Kill Reply #31 on: July 09, 2009, 03:37:05 PM
(Reminder to self).....   Ride in front of all these people.. :shock: :grin:
Thanks..I was looking for some company up here in front of these guys....WAY OUT FRONT.. :-P
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
1999/Magna/750c2....Kemah,Tx.

Re: Engine Kill Reply #32 on: July 09, 2009, 06:54:40 PM
If you are going down the road lets say at 50 mph whatever and you hit the kill switch NOTHING will happen the engine will die and continue to turn now when you get slow enough it may jerk and stutter but you would not wreck!!!   Think about it this way what happens when you hit reserve no fire but you do not go flying off the bike  :shock: :shock:

Thanks for correcting my error in thinking.  I thought since if you have the clutch in gear when the bike is stopped....u can't move it unless u pull in the clutch or put it in neutral.

I don't have a reserve either :P.  1985s didn't get one :(...I have a fuel tank and secondary that runs together.

Re: Engine Kill Reply #33 on: July 09, 2009, 06:58:44 PM
If you are going down the road lets say at 50 mph whatever and you hit the kill switch NOTHING will happen the engine will die and continue to turn now when you get slow enough it may jerk and stutter but you would not wreck!!!   Think about it this way what happens when you hit reserve no fire but you do not go flying off the bike  :shock: :shock:

Ditto, it's like using an engine brake on a big truck.
Jeff
MOOT#103
'08 Goldwing

Re: Engine Kill Reply #34 on: July 09, 2009, 11:24:53 PM
I rode with some Super Magna folks in Eureka Springs that would hit their kill switch on purpose while running down the road, open throttle up to get a good fuel charge then turn the ignition switch back on JUST to get the backfire and explosion! 
LoL...
Greg Cothern
00 Valkyrie Interstate
96 Magna 
Previously owned:
87 Super
96 Magna project bike
95 Magna "Pay it forward"   

Re: Engine Kill Reply #35 on: July 10, 2009, 02:44:18 AM
I rode with some Super Magna folks in Eureka Springs that would hit their kill switch on purpose while running down the road, open throttle up to get a good fuel charge then turn the ignition switch back on JUST to get the backfire and explosion! 
LoL...

I like it! Gotta have someone to liven it up a bit.
Terry

My mama always told me never put off till tomorrow people you can kill today.

Allen, TX.

74 GT750 - 75 GT380 – 01 Magna - 03 KX 250-01 – 04 WR 450 - 74 T500 Titan

Re: Engine Kill Reply #36 on: July 16, 2009, 10:20:12 AM
I just turn the key off 99% of the time.  My last Magna never had a Reg/Rec problem and so far this one's good too (both 3rd Gens).  You'll appreciate the kill switch next time you're coming up to an intersection with a red-light and you go for your clutch and break the clutch cable.  I was so thankful for a kill switch that day I've made sure even my choppers have one built in just in case.

Re: Engine Kill Reply #37 on: July 16, 2009, 11:26:14 AM
I just turn the key off 99% of the time.  My last Magna never had a Reg/Rec problem and so far this one's good too (both 3rd Gens).  You'll appreciate the kill switch next time you're coming up to an intersection with a red-light and you go for your clutch and break the clutch cable.  I was so thankful for a kill switch that day I've made sure even my choppers have one built in just in case.

Talk about a pucker moment!! :shock: :lol:   
LANCE JOHNSON

2003 Honda VTX 1800 C (FORMALLY 2001 HONDA MAGNA)
LOWELL ARKANSAS        MOOT# 659

Me, my uncle, and my brother somewhere on the Talimena ride during Mootmag 6.

Re: Engine Kill Reply #38 on: August 13, 2009, 04:40:07 PM
I've been riding for 30 thirty years, I always turn off at kill switch. I have not had problem one. It's just a habit that has been with me all this time.
1985 V65 Magna Stainless Steel Braided Lines, Corbin, Hid Headlamp, and Progessive Springs Front & Rear Shocks
Arlington,Tx
Bret aka Barney

Re: Engine Kill Reply #39 on: October 09, 2009, 11:49:39 PM
Same here, except I've only been riding for 1/10th of that time.  I am blonde and very forgetful and I have left the key in the ignition about a dozen times.  A few times it drained the battery, but it is super easy to push start.  Surprisingly, it only takes 2-3 miles to get enough juice in the battery to fire back up!?!

Re: Engine Kill Reply #40 on: May 20, 2010, 12:30:10 AM
I've used the kill switch since my first bike in the seventies and have never had any electrical problems.

Re: Engine Kill Reply #41 on: June 03, 2010, 04:00:29 PM
Hi guys, new to the forum here. Trying to read around the place before posting all the questions I have about my new-to-me bike (1997 VF750C2)...

anyway, since my bike is new to me, I was reading the  Honda owner's manual and came across this:

"This switch [engine stop switch] is intended as a safety or emergency switch and should normally remain in the On position."

So I have been killing mine with the key- but agree with others who have posted that it probably doesn't matter.

Re: Engine Kill Reply #42 on: June 13, 2012, 04:27:24 AM
I'm pretty late in this debate but there is something that hasn't been mentioned.
I usually turn off my bikes with the key except in one unique situation.
My garage is located at the rear of my house with my driveway from the street to the garage next to my house. Unfortunately, it is also next to my neighbors house and master bedroom. If I come home late at night, I zoom up the street at a rapid pace, pull in the clutch, hit the engine kill switch and electric garage door opener and stealthily coast up the driveway and into my garage. By using the kill switch, the engine stops but the lights stay on so I can see while going up the darkened driveway. By doing this, my neighbor and I are still friends :-P

Orv. 

Re: Engine Kill Reply #43 on: June 17, 2012, 05:34:16 PM
I have a friend (he shall remain nameless to protect the guilty) who spent hours trying to get his bike to run, got totally disgusted with it, resolved to sell it and did, only to discover that the kill switch was engaged.

The main reason I often use the kill switch is so that it will be automatic should I put the bike down.  In the adrenalin induced haze, one might forget where the switch is -- unless it has been used regularly, in which case it should be pretty much automatic.
Lawrence
'96 Blue Austin TX
Ride to Live, Live to Ride longer Wear a Helmet