Take the long way home

Did you Kill your Reg/Rec (Read 9489 times)
Did you Kill your Reg/Rec on: June 21, 2009, 05:19:20 PM
Remember this is ONLY if you have had a regulator/rectifier die!!!!
Greg Cothern
00 Valkyrie Interstate
96 Magna 
Previously owned:
87 Super
96 Magna project bike
95 Magna "Pay it forward"   

Re: Did you Kill your Reg/Rec Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 05:44:31 PM
do you mean did you kill the regulator or do you mean if your r/r went bad, how do you shut off your bike? I think the latter but for the third rewrite of this question, it is confusing again. lol :)
Chad Schloss

Perry, Michigan

Re: Did you Kill your Reg/Rec Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 02:17:59 AM
Please remove my turn off with key vote. Voted before I read.

Re: Did you Kill your Reg/Rec Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 01:19:45 PM
Could we also find out what day of the week the regulator/rectifier went out. It doesn't have any relevance to the problem, but I thought it might add a little variety to the reading for those who don't understand what is going on here. :lol:
You are not paid for what you do, but rather for what you will do and when that time comes, you will be highly underpaid.

Audere est Facere

Lead the Way!

D.L. Shireman

Re: Did you Kill your Reg/Rec Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 05:58:26 PM
Lost the Reg/Rec on my 1995 magna about a month ago. I usualy use the kill switch to shut down. I bought an aftermarket Reg/Rec for about 1/2 the price of a Honda one. I'll report on how it does if it fails.
Rsobo

Re: Did you Kill your Reg/Rec Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 04:18:47 PM

I didn't vote because I was confused.  Years ago, I had the "sealed in black epoxy" unit die, but I thought that was the regulator/computer.

It died because I had a dead battery, and I jump started with a running v8 SUV.  Not my brightest move.  It took a few weeks of degrading behavior and bits where the engine ran bad before it died for good.

I shut my bike off about 1/2 of the time by the key, the other half by putting down the kick stand.
Wayne #97 Me on MOOT My Magna Review and FAQ (Click Magna on left)

Re: Did you Kill your Reg/Rec Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 05:21:01 PM

I didn't vote because I was confused.  Years ago, I had the "sealed in black epoxy" unit die, but I thought that was the regulator/computer.

It died because I had a dead battery, and I jump started with a running v8 SUV.  Not my brightest move.  It took a few weeks of degrading behavior and bits where the engine ran bad before it died for good.

I shut my bike off about 1/2 of the time by the key, the other half by putting down the kick stand.
I don't know the year of your bike.. But the Regulator and the computer are separate items.
IF you replaced it and it cost you $100-$200 and not $400+ then it was the Regulator / Rectifier that went bad.. On the Gen 3's the R/R is mounted on the bottom of the Battery box.
There is a good chance that if you had been riding the bike and the battery died, it may have been because of the bad R/R and not the jump..
How you shut off your bike really shouldn't matter..
IMHO..
"accidents aren't predictable, don't be a DUMBASS" - MD Dan