Take the long way home

Regulator relocation kit mounting pictures(Read 6005 times)
Regulator relocation kit mounting pictures on: August 06, 2010, 12:18:05 AM
This shows the mounting using one of the 2 mounting options.
1 is a threaded U bolt (black)
2. is called a Rivnut. it is a expanding threaded device that is great for thin metals.
Using the rivnut may require opening up the larger hole. the machinest that made the
brackets made the holes with a plasma cutter and the holes arn't true and not fully the right size.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 12:19:40 AM by Len Averyt »
Once you go dark you dont want to park!
http://www.techknowman.com/Moto/Moto.htm
Moot member # 547

Re: Regulator relocation kit mounting pictures Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 12:20:40 AM
Hopefully one day I'll get a real manual made. :sad:
Moot member # 547

Re: Regulator relocation kit mounting pictures Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 01:09:53 AM

1 Now I don't feel so stupid that there where left over parts when I was looking at how to put it on.

2 I believe you have put it on your Magna do you have pictures?
Robert
Better to be exploited then not exploited.
07 Ultra, 07 Boulevard w/ sidecar (2+2=4)

Matthew 13:19 NT ... This is the seed sown along the path

Re: Regulator relocation kit mounting pictures Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 05:47:08 PM
Yep
Here ya go!
BTW I have since put the acorn nuts on to make it pretty

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 05:48:39 PM by Len Averyt »
Moot member # 547

Re: Regulator relocation kit mounting pictures Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 09:48:33 PM
I like it!  :P
Chad Schloss

Perry, Michigan

Re: Regulator relocation kit mounting pictures Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 10:03:09 PM
Got it put on.  I need to post pictures also.  I put the wires going down and reg. is level.
Robert

Re: Regulator relocation kit mounting pictures Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 04:31:25 AM
To keep the wires from being hit by the tire I tie-wrapped them to some other wires to keep them up and out of they way.

Robert

Re: Regulator relocation kit mounting pictures Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 08:22:50 PM
I will be making a very small alteration this weekend on the regulator.  I will posting a picture later.
Robert

Re: Regulator relocation kit mounting pictures Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 09:13:07 PM

I will take a picture after I drill the hole.

But my update:  It is so good I looked at it as soon as I did because the way I mounted the bracket, it did not stay up and it rotated down toward the ground (gravity who thunk it). Well the wires were rubbing on the bracket and had rubbed through the insulation.  I rapped it up with electrical tape for now but will do something better later.  

For now I took out the one inch bolt holding the regulator to the bracket that is closed to the main bolt holding the bracket to the frame of the bike.   To keep the regulator from twisting I put a 3 inch bolt in place of the one inch bolt.  The 3 inch bolt rests on the frame.  Where the 3 inch bolt rests on the frame I put a nut / washer then the frame than a washer / nut to pinch the washers to the frame.  I will twist it just a little bit more drill a hole then put the nuts and washers back with the bolt going through the frame instead of just pinching it to the frame.

I will be cutting off about 1 /2  of an inch of the 3 inch bolt it is sticking out just a little.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 10:19:02 PM by Magnum Magna »
Robert

Re: Regulator relocation kit mounting pictures Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 12:10:11 AM
Sorry to be absent from the forum. I've been up to my neck in stuff at work and my second job!

I wonder why the bracket kept rotating down?
I used all the same hardware on mine and its still where I put it.
I was suprised that the wires were long enough to point down out of the regulator.
Of course mine is still the factory unit and probably came with short wires.
I'm guessing that yours is a replacment unit that came with longer wires?
I too see a possible issue with the wires rubbing the bracket even on mine. I'm going to look at a solution for this. its no good keeping the regulator cooler if the wiring shorts out and does more damage than just a bad regulator would! :sad:
Moot member # 547

Re: Regulator relocation kit mounting pictures Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 02:23:54 AM
Number one I may not have put it on right.
Two I may have not had it tight enough.
Three yes it is an aftermarket one with longer wires.

I just feel more secure having a second bolt holding it in place.

The part of the frame that I will be putting a hole in is just the bracket holding up the muffler.
Robert

Re: Regulator relocation kit mounting pictures Reply #11 on: August 22, 2010, 06:55:45 PM

Don't replace the one inch with a three inch bolt.  Luckily I have not drilled the hole in the muffler bracket yet.  The swing arm action will come up and hit the regulator.  So I will be tilting it up and finding an open space in the regulator mounting bracket to put the three inch bolt out to the muffler bracket.
Robert