Take the long way home

Front end noise...HELP!(Read 7001 times)
Front end noise...HELP! on: August 22, 2010, 12:09:51 PM
So I took my wife out for a long ride yesterday and noticed (first time) that there is noise coming from the front end.  It is a cross between a rubbing noise, squealing, and a grind.  Kind of hard to describe.  It only appears at low speeds and while turning.  It is much more pronounced when turning left vs right, but there.  It is not a constant noise either.  I can't seem to duplicate the noise, but I am concerned about what it could be.  I thought that maybe the front brake is rubbing at low speeds......I need ideas of what to check, and how.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. 
FYI 1994, 20,025 miles.  Last oil change and chain adjustment at 20,0000 miles.  Thanks in advance.

Re: Front end noise...HELP! Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 12:34:16 PM
If the noise changes when you slightly apply the front brakes, it probably worn pads.  Could also be a worn wheel bearing, but that's really pretty rare; unless you have a habit of pressure washing your bike and forced some water in them.
John Luttrell
2001 VF750c Magna
http://redneckdrifter.bravehost.com/

Re: Front end noise...HELP! Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 12:37:18 PM
I've only had the bike for 3500 miles and I don't pressure wash it often, and I try to avoid getting water around the brakes and bearings.  I also forgot to mention that the noise is not present when the bike is straight and level.  It only appears when turning.  Also I have heard the noise a couple times when turning and the brake is not applied, though it comes always AFTER the brake has been applied. 

Re: Front end noise...HELP! Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 01:15:12 PM
I've only had the bike for 3500 miles and I don't pressure wash it often, and I try to avoid getting water around the brakes and bearings.  I also forgot to mention that the noise is not present when the bike is straight and level.  It only appears when turning.  Also I have heard the noise a couple times when turning and the brake is not applied, though it comes always AFTER the brake has been applied. 

Ok this leads me to believe it's just your pads vibrating on your rotor; harmless condition, as long as the pads are not worn out.  What you can do to stop it is, remove the brake pads and spray the back side (mounting surface) with disc brake quiet; it's a mounting glue that adheres the pads to the caliper pistons, which will assist the release of the pads after brake pressure is released.  What is happening is the pads are not following the caliper pistons when they release, allowing the pads to stay in contact with the rotor, all be it with out any pressure applied to them, and causing the noise.
John Luttrell
2001 VF750c Magna

Re: Front end noise...HELP! Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 03:22:59 PM

Ok this leads me to believe it's just your pads vibrating on your rotor; harmless condition, as long as the pads are not worn out.  What you can do to stop it is, remove the brake pads and spray the back side (mounting surface) with disc brake quiet; it's a mounting glue that adheres the pads to the caliper pistons, which will assist the release of the pads after brake pressure is released.  What is happening is the pads are not following the caliper pistons when they release, allowing the pads to stay in contact with the rotor, all be it with out any pressure applied to them, and causing the noise.

Okay John I was hoping that it would be something like this.  I wondered the same thing yesterday, but thought I needed to ask and get smarter people than me to give their opinions.  Is there a quick and easy way to check your thoughts?  If this is the case will the pads just be loose on the caliper?  Thanks so much for your help.

I have a big ride planned next weekend and don't want to go if there are potential hazards that I can't correct before then.  If though, it is nothing more than loose shoes I can fix that and be confident for my ride.

Re: Front end noise...HELP! Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 03:41:53 PM
Yeah, if it is just loose pads riding on the rotor, you should be able to move it a little on the caliper; make sure the system has had enough time to allow the pressure to bleed off the pads when you check them.
John Luttrell
2001 VF750c Magna

Re: Front end noise...HELP! Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 04:07:11 PM
Sounds like a problem I had on my shadow aero years back.  Like mentioned turned out to be loose pads.  Hope that is the only problem with it. 

Re: Front end noise...HELP! Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 05:58:51 PM
I would bet the front end bearings....  Mileage age do not help when pressure washer forces water into them.  Its a cheap place to start hehehehehe.
Greg Cothern
00 Valkyrie Interstate
96 Magna 
Previously owned:
87 Super
96 Magna project bike
95 Magna "Pay it forward"   

Re: Front end noise...HELP! Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 06:51:42 PM
So I just took it out for a short ride after a little inspection.  The front brake shoes are definitely loose in the caliper.  I don't know if that is normal or not, but it doesn't sound like it.  I am still unable to reproduce the sound when I want, but I did hear it a couple time, each time after I had applied the brakes.  It sounds very much like metal rubbing on metal and it is a higher pitch, but not so high as to think it just dirty brake shoes (like in a car).  I would assume that if the shoes are worn they would only make noise when applied, and if they are loose they would make noise at odd times?  Is my assumption correct?  Also is there any way for sure to rule out bad bearings, shy of taking them off? 

Re: Front end noise...HELP! Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 07:14:27 PM
Loose pads would do it at odd times, but mainly for a little while after applying the brakes; my money is on loose pads, get some disc brake pad glue and glue the pads to the calipers.  I bet that takes care of it.
John Luttrell
2001 VF750c Magna

Re: Front end noise...HELP! Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 07:59:42 PM
Bearings can be felt with your finger, should feel very smooth no rough or gritty feeling.
Brake pads are easily replaced to cheap enough.
Greg Cothern
00 Valkyrie Interstate
96 Magna 
Previously owned:
87 Super
96 Magna project bike
95 Magna "Pay it forward"   

Re: Front end noise...HELP! Reply #11 on: August 22, 2010, 11:22:08 PM
Bearings can be felt with your finger, should feel very smooth no rough or gritty feeling.
Brake pads are easily replaced to cheap enough.
When I 1st got my bike and I was getting the front tire replaced, I ran my finger on the inside of the bearings making them roll. They were "chunky", meaning that it felt like the rollers had flat sides. The bike had less than 20K miles.. I didn't like the way they felt, so I replaced the bearings and seals... I don't know if I needed to, but they did not feel right to me.. (I am NOT saying this relates to the topic at all, just Greg's comment).

On another note, I had grinding, clicking odd noises in my front wheel (different than you describe) and it turned out the tabs on the metal washer that meet up with the speedo adapter were bent... I bent them back so they fully engaged and I haven't had an issue since.. (Again, not related to the topic)...
"accidents aren't predictable, don't be a DUMBASS" - MD Dan

Re: Front end noise...HELP! Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 08:48:59 PM
So after some research and some time with a mechanic we discovered that it is actually the rear brake that is making the noise!  It would figure that I can't tell where a noise is coming from.  Anyway front bearings are fine as well as the brake shoes.  The rear brakes are not worn (according to the wear marks) and we suspect the noise is coming from brake dust or dirty shoes.  Thanks to all for the help.  It was with your advice and ideas that we were able to discover the problem.  Wish me luck on our ride this weekend!
Ryan

Re: Front end noise...HELP! Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 09:03:56 PM
So after some research and some time with a mechanic we discovered that it is actually the rear brake that is making the noise!  It would figure that I can't tell where a noise is coming from.  Anyway front bearings are fine as well as the brake shoes.  The rear brakes are not worn (according to the wear marks) and we suspect the noise is coming from brake dust or dirty shoes.  Thanks to all for the help.  It was with your advice and ideas that we were able to discover the problem.  Wish me luck on our ride this weekend!
Ryan

Glad you were able to figure it out.  Have a great time on your ride.  Take pictures and make sure to share with us.