Take the long way home

Summer Wrench session July 12th (Read 28755 times)
Re: Summer Wrench session July 12th Reply #60 on: July 15, 2014, 07:53:20 AM
I'm assuming that you checked the gas in the tank...
Nice and clean, not trash or water in the tank??
If it acted like it was out of gas, was there gas in the carb bowls? all of them?
"accidents aren't predictable, don't be a DUMBASS" - MD Dan

Re: Summer Wrench session July 12th Reply #61 on: July 15, 2014, 10:42:46 AM
The gas in the tank was good and yes we checked the carb bowls.
MOOT#428
Arlington, Texas
I'm not young enough to know everything

Re: Summer Wrench session July 12th Reply #62 on: July 21, 2014, 09:00:22 PM
Well after a lot of sweat, quite a few choice words, a couple of take offs and put back on, and a couple of cleanings my magna is back up and running.
After taking off the fuel shut off valve and cleaning and checking it several times we finally just bypassed it, runs great and keeps running. Once again thanks Allen for hosting the wrench session, thanks Jesse for bring your cleaner, and thank you very much Dave for all your help and taking me back and forth to house several times. I am glad that my super is back up and running with out any hesitation. Looking forward to the next one.
MOOT#428
Arlington, Texas
I'm not young enough to know everything

Re: Summer Wrench session July 12th Reply #63 on: July 22, 2014, 01:06:41 AM
Good news, thanks Jerry for the update.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 01:55:35 AM by TLRam1 »
Terry

My mama always told me never put off till tomorrow people you can kill today.

Allen, TX.

74 GT750 - 75 GT380 – 01 Magna - 03 KX 250-01 – 04 WR 450 - 74 T500 Titan

Re: Summer Wrench session July 12th Reply #64 on: July 26, 2014, 10:07:03 AM
Thanks for the update Jerry and Thanks again to all that came out we will have one again pretty soon maybe when it starts cooling down a bit how's that sound.
Allen Rugg 
76 Jeep CJ

The adventure begins where your plans fall through.

Re: Summer Wrench session July 12th Reply #65 on: July 28, 2014, 01:56:48 AM
On the second cleaning, I pulled the idle air bleed screws out that you guys missed and blew out all the assemblies with brake cleaner and compressed air. The vacuum operated fuel cutoff is a PIA. This one didn't want to operate properly even with my vacuum pump so we chucked it and bypassed it with a copper line. You just always got to remember to shut the petcock off when you park it.

The cap on one of the vacuum diaphragms for the metering rods was on wrong, so that one wasn't going to lift under acceleration.

Anyway, patience paid off finally and we got the Super running like the champ that it is.
You are not paid for what you do, but rather for what you will do and when that time comes, you will be highly underpaid.

Audere est Facere

Lead the Way!

D.L. Shireman

Re: Summer Wrench session July 12th Reply #66 on: August 08, 2014, 07:35:22 PM
Jerry, I'm glad Dave was able to get you up and running. Dave, thanks a bunch for helping him.

Jerry, I don't recall being around for assembling all of the vacuum slides so I'm sorry I wasn't there to provide a second set of eyes. Or if I was... I didn't do a very good job. LOL.

I just recently pulled and cleaned my Ninja 250 carbs using my ultrasonic cleaner and they came out like a champ using the same process of rinsing and compressed air drying. I put them back on the bike this weekend and got them fully synced up last night. The bike appears to be running very smoothly now. We'll see.

Eventually I will place my original carbs back on my Magna and see how the ultrasonic cleaner did on them as well. But after your carbs I am paying extra attention during the rinsing and drying.   :-o

I'll bring my carb sync tool to the next session and we can try them on the bike. I have bench synced two sets of carbs now using the identical size drill bit method and I find they still need adjustment once they're on the bike. Now I could be doing it wrong but I have read there is always some variation on the bike simply due to age and valve clearances, etc.  The Ninja 250 in particular was much more susceptible to the carb difference than I have found Magnas to be. Probably because there's not a lot of fudge factor on that motor. It immensely ran better after dialing the carbs closer.

Jesse
Moot #358
'99 Magna (Halloween theme paint job)
Racetech Cartridge Emulators in front forks, Progressive 444s on the rear. Best mods I've ever made to this bike.
Houston

Re: Summer Wrench session July 12th Reply #67 on: August 11, 2014, 01:16:47 AM
Sounds great Jesse. I'm looking forward to it.
You are not paid for what you do, but rather for what you will do and when that time comes, you will be highly underpaid.

Audere est Facere

Lead the Way!

D.L. Shireman