Take the long way home

Linked Events

• MOOT MaG 14!!! Be There or be Square: August 01, 2016 - August 05, 2016
MOOT MaG #14 - Frisco, Colorado, August 1-5, 2016(Read 23241 times)
Re: MOOT MaG #14 - Frisco, Colorado, August 1-5, 2016 Reply #60 on: August 08, 2016, 10:57:13 AM
We pulled in late last night. Will unload the bikes this evening after I complete a full day of work. :(

Great trip. :-)  Probably my most enjoyable MootMAG ever because we were in the location long enough to do a fair bit of riding and a few other local activities. I didn't feel like we were in "traveling mode" all the time.

Thanks again to Jeff for organizing the event. You local knowledge made the rides great and kept us mostly dry.
Jesse
Moot #358
'99 Magna (Halloween theme paint job)
Racetech Cartridge Emulators in front forks, Progressive 444s on the rear. Best mods I've ever made to this bike.
Houston

Re: MOOT MaG #14 - Frisco, Colorado, August 1-5, 2016 Reply #61 on: August 09, 2016, 09:42:01 AM
Jeff and April,  thank you so much for all your time and effort organizing this event.  I really enjoyed the group rides on Monday and Tuesday.  An unexpected death in the family required that we return home Wednesday to prepare for and travel to a funeral that was held on Sunday in Mississippi.  We are now back home.

Great seeing all the long standing MOOT guys (Brad, Lawrence, Rick, Jesse) and meeting meeting new folks as well.

Until we ride again, stay safe.

Jeff Atkins
Cross Roads, Texas
2006 ST1300
1997 Magna (sold but fondly remembered)

Re: MOOT MaG #14 - Frisco, Colorado, August 1-5, 2016 Reply #62 on: August 11, 2016, 11:14:53 AM
Hello all, I really hated missing MOOTMAG again this year and seeing everyone. I had a 2 day conference for work to attend in Denver the week before MOOTMAG. The my wife and I took a few days vacation in Woodland Park and saw all the sights. No moto. I can't wait to see all your pictures.
Mike''''
Mike
1999 VF750C, bought new and untitled 2001.
227,401 miles, by the grace of God!!!
This is truly a magnificent machine!
2015 Kaw Concours, bought new & untitled 2017

Re: MOOT MaG #14 - Frisco, Colorado, August 1-5, 2016 Reply #63 on: August 13, 2016, 10:21:50 AM
Pictures? Video?
You are not paid for what you do, but rather for what you will do and when that time comes, you will be highly underpaid.

Audere est Facere

Lead the Way!

D.L. Shireman

Re: MOOT MaG #14 - Frisco, Colorado, August 1-5, 2016 Reply #64 on: August 15, 2016, 11:17:15 PM
I think everyone is tuckered out from all the riding and great fun. (I know I was and now I'm right back in the middle of a lot of work.)  It will be awhile before I can post some of our pics.
Jesse
Moot #358
Racetech Cartridge Emulators in front forks, Progressive 444s on the rear. Best mods I've ever made to this bike.
Houston

Re: MOOT MaG #14 - Frisco, Colorado, August 1-5, 2016 Reply #65 on: August 19, 2016, 11:56:41 AM
Jesse, thanks for the "lid picker" measurement kit. As it turns out, since you already paid for the kit, the rest of us benefit -- the report only is $5 (plus tax, of course).  Just ordered mine.

Thanks again for everything.

For those interested, see www.lidpicker.com
Lawrence
'96 Blue Austin TX
Ride to Live, Live to Ride longer Wear a Helmet

Re: MOOT MaG #14 - Frisco, Colorado, August 1-5, 2016 Reply #66 on: August 19, 2016, 02:29:48 PM
Yeah. I saw that lower price (think it used to be $10) when I got back. I'm going to order one for myself and Karen too.

You are certainly welcome.
Jesse
Moot #358
Houston

Re: MOOT MaG #14 - Frisco, Colorado, August 1-5, 2016 Reply #67 on: August 22, 2016, 03:58:36 AM
Sorry it took me so long to post. After getting back to Austin and getting back into the groove, April took off to training in Chicago with her laptop and the only copy of the photos she shot!

Hats (helmets?) off to all of you, you EARNED your Colorado stickers on this trip, folks! From magnificent canyons to twisty and technical mountain pass roads to high altitudes through mountain downpours up into the clouds atop purple mountains majesty! We traveled 751 miles, traversed 18 passes, crossed the Continental Divide 13 times, and reached a maximum altitude of 14,130 feet atop the highest paved road in North America at the summit of Mt. Evans. Brad and my dad even went a few better standing atop the summit seal at 14,265!

Guys, thank you so much for coming out to my old back yard to scoot these little cruisers through the hills. I had a great time showing you around and hanging out, and I know my dad and Russ enjoyed meeting all of you as well.

Dave, Terry, Hoot, Scott, Marty, Mike, Jerry, and everyone else I'm forgetting, you guys were sorely missed, I wish you could have made it out there with us but I certainly understand. I'd like to get a miniMaG going so we can all catch up.

Here's a few photos I've picked, the full album can be seen here in the MOOT bucket.

Out of the tunnel and into the light, Glenwood Canyon

First venture above tree-line, Independence Pass above Aspen

Clogging the streets of Frisco on day 2

Around the back side of Dillon Reservoir

Now we're talking. Headed up Loveland Pass

There be GOLD in them there hills!

Peak to Peak Highway

Skies are starting to look ominous...

Side trip to Mom's place. Too pretty to not share.

Into the clouds at the summit of Mt. Evans

Day 5, back into the clouds

« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 04:09:33 AM by v4_jeff »
My garage runneth over...
14 Zero S ZF 8.5
08 VFR800fi
08 Kawasaki KLE650 Versys - For Sale
09 CRF230L
97 VF750CD - SOLD!

Re: MOOT MaG #14 - Frisco, Colorado, August 1-5, 2016 Reply #68 on: August 22, 2016, 09:58:20 AM
Thanks for sharing looks like an awesome trip, hated to miss it, but my granddaughter's wedding had a higher priority. Looking forward to our next one
MOOT#428
Arlington, Texas
I'm not young enough to know everything

Re: MOOT MaG #14 - Frisco, Colorado, August 1-5, 2016 Reply #69 on: August 22, 2016, 11:58:53 PM
Great photos Jeff, the one going to Mom's Place is gorgeous! Let's do work on the mini Mootmag to see if we can get one together.
Terry

My mama always told me never put off till tomorrow people you can kill today.

Allen, TX.

74 GT750 - 75 GT380 – 01 Magna - 03 KX 250-01 – 04 WR 450 - 74 T500 Titan

Re: MOOT MaG #14 - Frisco, Colorado, August 1-5, 2016 Reply #70 on: August 25, 2016, 05:00:50 PM
Very, Very nice trip indeed. Damn, wish I could have made this one. Next time.

It's still on in October! 3 Sisters Run and Fun.

http://www.meetup.com/Dedicated-Riders-of-North-Texas/events/232107192/
You are not paid for what you do, but rather for what you will do and when that time comes, you will be highly underpaid.

Audere est Facere

Lead the Way!

D.L. Shireman

Re: MOOT MaG #14 - Frisco, Colorado, August 1-5, 2016 Reply #71 on: August 30, 2016, 01:02:26 AM
Wow! For those of you who rode the San Juan Skyway, aren't you glad it didn't look like this?

https://www.facebook.com/ilike9news/videos/10154183691021077/
My garage runneth over...
14 Zero S ZF 8.5
08 VFR800fi
08 Kawasaki KLE650 Versys - For Sale
09 CRF230L
97 VF750CD - SOLD!

Re: MOOT MaG #14 - Frisco, Colorado, August 1-5, 2016 Reply #72 on: August 30, 2016, 03:16:10 AM
I went up a few passes when I was there, the last one being Independence Pass. Once up there I didn't know how I was going to get my bike down, I have that big a fear of heights.

Someone mentioned walking it down, I am the first one to speak up, yes I can walk it down. That is what I started to do, Mary Ellen (luckily is the same way), decided to get on the bike and go down against head on traffic up against the mountain, moving out to the white line when a car came just enough to let that car by, some went around me and let me stay in their lane.

Mary Ellen looked at the mountain the whole way down as pretty much I did. The older I am the worse it is. I am not a big sissy baby Hoot, it is a real fear alive and well. It is a shame as it is so much fun if I could enjoy it. If it slopes down the side I am much better to alright, drop offs, I am done.

What do I fear? Falling off, How, losing my balance, looking around not watching where you are going (even though I am watching the ground) or I just freak out because I can't handle heights and make a uncontrollable error.

Maybe this trip was not right for me with all the passes you took in.

Just in case you were wondering......I am still a stable person and don't need a fruitcake DR.
Terry

My mama always told me never put off till tomorrow people you can kill today.

Allen, TX.

74 GT750 - 75 GT380 – 01 Magna - 03 KX 250-01 – 04 WR 450 - 74 T500 Titan

Re: MOOT MaG #14 - Frisco, Colorado, August 1-5, 2016 Reply #73 on: August 30, 2016, 05:35:57 AM
Jeff, you are right.  I would have been nervous riding that pass with that much water coming over it.  Many have died over the years in winter on that road due to snow and avalanches.

Terry, when my cousin and his wife rode that pass decades ago, his wife slid down and huddled in the floorboards of the car he was driving -- on a clear sunny day.  Lots of folks are afraid of falling off the mountain, you are not alone!

My only regret in riding the road this year is that we were running out of daylight, and couldn't stop and gawk at several spectacular spots.  Enjoyed our time at the top of Monarch Pass a bit too much...
Lawrence
'96 Blue Austin TX
Ride to Live, Live to Ride longer Wear a Helmet

Re: MOOT MaG #14 - Frisco, Colorado, August 1-5, 2016 Reply #74 on: March 19, 2017, 03:57:23 PM
Hi there folks!

This ride sounds like the call for me and a friend here. There is a road I would love to suggest, if it fits in the time schedule. It's not on the usual routes, but will take you right back heading home.

I am a fellow Magna buff since way, way back, #29 here. I don't have Big Red any more, as I had stopped riding due a long battle with illness, that is now gratefully resolved. I had owned a many a Hondas since my first ride at 15, a Super 90. What great memories! I was hoping to possibly keep my Moot # and just change the photo? I emailed, but I never got a response, but what the heck. I now own a 3rd Gen 1998 Magna, and do so LOVE this torque machine! So I have freshly logged in and have no idea what will appear as my name and no matter for now. My name is Kirk Allen, and I live in Dallas with my oldest friend ever since we both got divorced. There tended to be a repeating matter of wives calling us back from our long planned rides back in the day....soooo. No problem now. hehehe We turned the dining room into a shop! Huge tool cabinets and bike lifters etc, so we can work inside whenever needed. Both Kirby Martin and I have worked on bikes for quite a long time, but Kirby is retired a Certified Honda, Lexus, and Infinity mechanic. We have rebuilt quite a few of the 1st generation 45s and 65s. We were members of the original SMOT email list Yes, we are that old!) He owns the most pristine Sabre I have ever seen, straight out of the box, and it has about 12,000 miles. He also rides and ST1300, and there are multiple bikes of all around the place, vintage bikes, and dirt bikes, etc.

Anyway, the dates sound like we could be ready by then. Before that I have a little question. About 3 weeks ago somewhere here I read a little trick about blowing out the carbs without taking them off, possibly through the bowl drainer? I would like to try this. Does anyone here know of the post? I have been searching and can't find it again? Would like to try it before pulling the carbs, probably because of the PTSD I still have from pilling V65s. Ha!

One last question. I admit I haven't read the entire fax yet. I notice the little black outs ........ for certain words. I totally get blocking products. If they want to be here then they should sponsor us. That's exactly why I refuses to PAY for and hat or T-Shirt that is thought to be cool or whatever. Why in God's name should we be paying to own these logos??? I just don't do it. So anyway, I am sure that the blocked words are automated, but the programming is blocking out many other words that seem to be important to the resolve or comments. Believe me, I'm not at all trying to start anything when I know someone has worked their butts off for this. I'm just curious. In the mean time I will keep searching, and you may see the technical question elsewhere.

Looking forward to meeting those in our area and on the ride, should I get blessed enough to get beyond this beautiful day in Texas.

Kirk Allen
254-447-8023
Kirk Allen "www.aintitgoodtoknow.com
Author/Composer Sony Records