Take the long way home

Big bend Thursday 2 June?(Read 3685 times)
Big bend Thursday 2 June? on: May 31, 2016, 11:58:51 PM
Not really a MOOT event but hey, this is late decision making on my part.
I'm riding OKC to Big bend Thursday June 2.  Camping at Chisos Basin, if anyone wants to meet there.
Friday, ride around, dinner at Ft. Davis.  Probably staying at Stone Village Tourist Camp in a "Camp Room".

Friday night, McDonald Observatory for a STAR PARTY!  (tix still available as of May 31, and weather looks clear/low of 50)

Saturday I have to leave to Las Cruces to meet my charity ride I do every year (LRLR.org)

If you want to meetup and ride, that's awesome!  My dates and routes are not very flexible though.

I do have to say.. I've seen the pics and plans in other MOOT pages and always wanted to get to Big Bend and a star party.  I definitely owe some thanks to everyone that has piqued my interest!!

Hop Along
Hop Along
No longer in Norman, OK
2003 Magna
2015 DR650, partly sponsored by a 1973 CT-90 and 2005 CRF 230F....

Re: Big bend Thursday 2 June? Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 02:26:08 PM
Be sure and take your air conditioner. It's going to be killer hot in that basin now.

It will be a unique and exciting experience bro.
You are not paid for what you do, but rather for what you will do and when that time comes, you will be highly underpaid.

Audere est Facere

Lead the Way!

D.L. Shireman

Re: Big bend Thursday 2 June? Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 02:22:32 AM
Wish I could go! Have fun.
Terry

My mama always told me never put off till tomorrow people you can kill today.

Allen, TX.

74 GT750 - 75 GT380 – 01 Magna - 03 KX 250-01 – 04 WR 450 - 74 T500 Titan

Re: Big bend Thursday 2 June? Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 12:44:33 PM
It was fun.  Camped up at Chisos Valley; it was much cooler at elevation.  The Hammock tent was cooler too!

Sadly, I was visited by the popo.  Twice, despite my restrained throttle efforts and *many* warnings.  Sigh.
Hop Along
Hop Along
No longer in Norman, OK
2003 Magna

Re: Big bend Thursday 2 June? Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 07:44:24 PM
I hope you didn't get busted inside that national park. I was warned the fines were hefty.

Did you see any black bears? snakes?
You are not paid for what you do, but rather for what you will do and when that time comes, you will be highly underpaid.

Audere est Facere

Lead the Way!

D.L. Shireman

Re: Big bend Thursday 2 June? Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 12:49:53 AM
Wish one of us warned you, especially around Ft Davis, few roads and nothing better to do for him to make the day go by faster. I was stopped by him but was cut a break.
Terry

Allen, TX.

Re: Big bend Thursday 2 June? Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 01:34:30 PM
One was outside the park, south of Alpine on 118.  That was legit.... lol
The other in Persidio; I missed a sign posted at trucker eye level at the front end of a sweeping turn; I was looking through the turn and the oncoming traffic that didn't look like it was going to stop (and rolled through the stop, pulling out just behind me).  Then an oncoming officer flashed his lights at me before I go to another speed limit sign.  It was a confusing conversation:
"I'm pulling you over for speeding"
"But officer your lights were on before I got to the speed limit sign indiciating a speed zone decrease"
"No I didn't"
"uh... what am I missing?"
"You missed the sign"
"Sir, I can see it just right there (indicating behind me).  Your lights were on before I got to it"
"You missed the sign"
"um.  Are we looking at the same sign?"
(Officer points backwards generically backwards) "Its back there"
"If we are looking at the same sign Sir, your lights were on before I got it"
(Other Office asks me to get off the bike.  I do) "The sign the Office is pointing to is before that turn in the road"

By then my ass was fried! 

Anyways, In all the ride posts I've seen (many from Smoked U) I'd seen the warnings to stay slow.  I'm just glad they were outside the park.  I will pay them during lunch today.  I have a new mantra: Don't Ride South Of I-10 Unless I Keep My Throttle In Check! :-)

Annyways; I did see awesome scattered showers.  One snake on the road (I didn't stop to investigate... it was slithering across).  Other than that no animals.  My favourite road was Old Maverick, going north from Santa Elena Canyon towards 118 and Terlingua. 
Yes... It's a dirt road!  (which might explain the rear subframe repair I need to do now....)

Hop Along
Hop Along
No longer in Norman, OK
2003 Magna

Re: Big bend Thursday 2 June? Reply #7 on: June 18, 2016, 04:46:22 AM
I think Mary Ellen and I rode the same dirt road, probably much slower as I didn't want to tear the bike up. :)
Terry

Allen, TX.

Re: Big bend Thursday 2 June? Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 11:13:57 AM
Sure glad the officers didn't introduce you to their "conch".

That what they call that big 4 cell flashlight they carry. "conch" is the sound it makes when it hits your head.

Audere est Facere

Lead the Way!

D.L. Shireman