You missed some good times and the nastiest Magna carbs I've ever seen. We actually ended up making Franken carbs, taking bits and pieces from two different motorcycles.
We had disassembled one set and run it through the cleaner. They were almost sparkling. Then I noticed the the idle mixture screws had not been removed. So we started to take those out only to discover that two of them had gotten so corroded they were not going to come out. The brass D screws rounded off! And that was with using a D-tool socket. One of the casings on the float bowls actually broke around the D screw.
So we decided to look at the other set of carbs on the parts bike only to find out the air cleaner plenum was cracked. We decided to swap the plenums and clean the other set of carbs. These were a nice shade of green inside and smelled nastier than the other set, but the mixture screws weren't corroded. However the a couple of slides were actually melted. When checking the air filter from this bike we could see that it had been burned from the bottom side. So at one point there was a fire or flash fire in the carbs. Probably from starter fluid? So we mixed and matched diaphragms to get a set of four that weren't scarred or cracked.
We also lubed throttle cables, checked plugs and compression, buffed a few chrome bits, and checked the intake valve clearance on the front cylinders. Then we took Franken carbs and placed them on the bike an voila! It starts up and idles... but the mid-range and upper end are bogging down.
Allen is going to check the diaphragms to make sure they are functioning properly. There may also be an issue because the front two cylinders had lower compression than the back.
So there may be another wrench session in the future to do an engine swap... Bring your clutch on over.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 07:48:40 PM by MagnaMan »
'99 Magna (Halloween theme paint job)
Racetech Cartridge Emulators in front forks, Progressive 444s on the rear. Best mods I've ever made to this bike.