Take the long way home

Coastal Region Wrench Session Saturday, October 8th - Conroe TX(Read 4287 times)
Roboto65 will soon be an owner of a yellow Magna (going back to his roots) that needs some help running. We decided to have a wrench session to celebrate.

Allen will be hosting in his shop in Conroe, TX and we'll send the address to whoever can attend. We'll be pulling and cleaning carbs on Allen's new bike at the very least.

Post up if you can make it and if you need any work done. You can ride in or trailer your bike if it's not running.
Jesse
Moot #358
'99 Magna (Halloween theme paint job)
Racetech Cartridge Emulators in front forks, Progressive 444s on the rear. Best mods I've ever made to this bike.
Houston

Re: Coastal Region Wrench Session Saturday, October 8th - Conroe TX Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 12:21:11 PM
I am in LOL will have the shop open early so come on out and chit chat we may work in fork seals also.
Allen Rugg 
76 Jeep CJ

The adventure begins where your plans fall through.

Re: Coastal Region Wrench Session Saturday, October 8th - Conroe TX Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 05:03:31 PM
I want to do my fork seal too.

Re: Coastal Region Wrench Session Saturday, October 8th - Conroe TX Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 05:54:39 PM
ttooee

All Balls makes some good aftermarket alternatives for third generation Magnas. Here are the parts numbers that I got from their website:
Fork Bushing Kit 38-6090
Fork Oil Seal & Dust Seal Kit 56-132
Fork Dust Seal Only Kit 57-115

You can pick these up off Amazon or Ebay for pretty cheap in time for the wrench session. I'll bring the PVC tools that I have for working on the forks.
Jesse
Moot #358
Racetech Cartridge Emulators in front forks, Progressive 444s on the rear. Best mods I've ever made to this bike.
Houston

Re: Coastal Region Wrench Session Saturday, October 8th - Conroe TX Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 09:09:14 PM
Thanks, but I have the new seals. I replaced the seals several times already.
I made a rig turn the fork into a hydraulic pump and I can press the seal out without damage the teflon bearings.
PM me the address so I can stop by and see others Magna hard at work.

Re: Coastal Region Wrench Session Saturday, October 8th - Conroe TX Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 02:18:18 AM
Explain your pump you made.
Terry

My mama always told me never put off till tomorrow people you can kill today.

Allen, TX.

74 GT750 - 75 GT380 – 01 Magna - 03 KX 250-01 – 04 WR 450 - 74 T500 Titan

Re: Coastal Region Wrench Session Saturday, October 8th - Conroe TX Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 01:26:41 PM
With the fork off the bike and remove the spring and any spacer. Allow the inner tube to slide down about one  to two inches before bottoming out and fill with any oil to the top and replace cap. Remove the dust seal and snap ring and washers.
I made a frame out with wood 2x4 and use a small hydraulic cylinder jack. Place the jack in the frame and fork end on top of the jack, place the other fork end against the frame. Extend the jack and the oil inside the fork will push the seal out.

Re: Coastal Region Wrench Session Saturday, October 8th - Conroe TX Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 10:10:41 AM
Oneside of the seal will come out first. You have to reseat the seal and put some pressure on that side to make the other side comes out. Usually after the second try the seal pop out.

Re: Coastal Region Wrench Session Saturday, October 8th - Conroe TX Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 02:34:15 PM
Ok we will have food here for lunch will have the pit going. Anybody else planning on coming should be a nice morning.
Allen Rugg 
76 Jeep CJ

The adventure begins where your plans fall through.

Re: Coastal Region Wrench Session Saturday, October 8th - Conroe TX Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 09:39:45 PM
OK. My clutch came in today.  Who's ready?  What? I missed it???  Hope y'all had fun.  Watching the Aggie game was a great alternative!
David
David Morris-Katy, TX
MOOT#362
Goners:74Yamaha 125AT2, 81Suzuki 250T, 81Honda GL500I, 84Magna 700, 84Honda Nighthawk, 96Magna Deluxe.
Now:05 Royal Star Tour Deluxe

Wrench report Reply #10 on: October 11, 2016, 10:55:44 AM
You missed some good times and the nastiest Magna carbs I've ever seen. We actually ended up making Franken carbs, taking bits and pieces from two different motorcycles.

We had disassembled one set and run it through the cleaner. They were almost sparkling. Then I noticed the the idle mixture screws had not been removed. So we started to take those out only to discover that two of them had gotten so corroded they were not going to come out. The brass D screws rounded off! And that was with using a D-tool socket. One of the casings on the float bowls actually broke around the D screw.

So we decided to look at the other set of carbs on the parts bike only to find out the air cleaner plenum was cracked. We decided to swap the plenums and clean the other set of carbs. These were a nice shade of green inside and smelled nastier than the other set, but the mixture screws weren't corroded. However the a couple of slides were actually melted. When checking the air filter from this bike we could see that it had been burned from the bottom side. So at one point there was a fire or flash fire in the carbs. Probably from starter fluid?  So we mixed and matched diaphragms to get a set of four that weren't scarred or cracked.

We also lubed throttle cables, checked plugs and compression, buffed a few chrome bits, and checked the intake valve clearance on the front cylinders. Then we took Franken carbs and placed them on the bike an voila! It starts up and idles... but the mid-range and upper end are bogging down.

Allen is going to check the diaphragms to make sure they are functioning properly. There may also be an issue because the front two cylinders had lower compression than the back.

So there may be another wrench session in the future to do an engine swap... Bring your clutch on over.  :D
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 07:48:40 PM by MagnaMan »
Jesse
Moot #358
Houston