Take the long way home

Fuel filter(Read 1769 times)
Fuel filter on: October 04, 2016, 08:23:18 PM
HI guys, I have a couple of questions on some part numbers needed. I just finished cleaning out my 1982 VF45s fuel tank with some Apple cider vinegar that did an outstanding job, lots of rust particles and surface rust is now completely gone. So with the cleaning obviously we need to look at the fuel filter, it was filled with a mass amounts of rust crap, almost clogged. So I now new a new filter but can't find the part number for it, I am presuming it is a special filter or not? Anyone have the part number for this year filter. Also in need of the gas cap rubber seal as it has a few splits in it an seeps fuel, need a part number also for that.   
thanks  :-)

Re: Fuel filter Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 12:54:54 AM
Are you talking about an inline fuel filter or the "sock" that goes into the tank on the petcock? I don't have part numbers for either but just wanted to make that distinction.

Check out http://www.siriusconinc.com/. They carry a lot of OEM rubber elements that are made in Japan that you can use for rebuilding various bits on your bike.
Jesse
Moot #358
'99 Magna (Halloween theme paint job)
Racetech Cartridge Emulators in front forks, Progressive 444s on the rear. Best mods I've ever made to this bike.
Houston

Re: Fuel filter Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 12:37:43 PM
The inline filter that is just behind the fuel shut off valve, lays on a filter holder in the center of the lower rear of the frame. Not sure what the SOCK is.
Thanks

Re: Fuel filter Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 03:50:58 PM
The "sock" is probably slang that I learned from my Dad. But I've always seen a filter on the end of any fuel tube in a gas tank, car or motorcycle. It's usually long with mesh holes in it and looks like a sock. ;-). It's the first line of filtration. On a motorcycle it's usually on the pet cock feed tube that goes into the tank. It keeps large trash from getting in your petcock and further down the fuel system. These "socks" are usually pretty specific to the motorcycle so that would be an item that would probably require OEM matching.

If the filter you're talking about is external, it's probably less important to get an OEM match for that one. An aftermarket filter designed for gravity fed fuel that will fit in the hose will probably work.

Something to consider. If you're replacing your external fuel filter you may want to pull the petcock on the tank and look at the "sock" in the tank. It may also need replacing, or cleaning at least.

Since your external filter had rust in it then you may not have a "sock" at all. It's also possible that the first generation bikes didn't come with a screen on the petcock? But my guess is that someone just removed it over the years of ownership.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 06:57:35 PM by MagnaMan »
Jesse
Moot #358
'99 Magna (Halloween theme paint job)
Racetech Cartridge Emulators in front forks, Progressive 444s on the rear. Best mods I've ever made to this bike.
Houston

Re: Fuel filter Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 11:31:21 PM
Yes I latter was thinking of what you meant and realized that you meant the line filter usually a mesh screen. No it has none other than the plastic in-line filter. I will take it to Napa auto parts and see if they have a match, looks pretty basic.
Thanks will let you know what is found. 

Re: Fuel filter Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 04:54:01 PM
Napa auto had the exact same were go to go. Now I know were bike riders go for parts. :P