Questionable

Author Topic: FAQ's  (Read 5619 times)

Offline Greg Cothern

• Super Moderator
  • MOOT Super Contributor
    • http://www.MagnaOwnersOfTexas.com
FAQ's
« on: February 14, 2008, 09:15:20 AM »
This forum is used for folks to come find answers to frequently asked question's.  But never fear asking your questions in the Garage or any of the other forums either.
Please keep posts to a minimum (pertinent information only please) as we want the information to be easily found in this forum please, thanks.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 10:54:49 PM by Greg Cothern »
Greg Cothern
00 Valkyrie Interstate
96 Magna 
Previously owned:
87 Super
96 Magna project bike
95 Magna "Pay it forward"   

Offline cliffyhills

Re: FAQ's
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 11:56:31 AM »
Hello

I not sure who to ask, but I would like to find someone in the Austin area that could do some carb work on my 95 Magna.   I think i need the carbs rejetted but I have so far learned to live with the performance problem that its had for the last 12 years.   I don't have the tools or the garage to do that kind of job.   my bike runs great until I hammer on the throttle and it hesitates before it really grabs.   I thought it might have been a clutch issue , but I installs plates, discs, and springs from Barnett .   my bike has almost 60k and 58k are all form me so I know the history of any mechanical work done

thanks
1995 Honda Magna VF750

Offline lragan

• MOOTMag Committee
  • Full Throttle Contributor
    • Lawrence's Homepage
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 02:49:12 PM »
I bought a '96 Magna last fall from a nice gentleman in south Austin, who claimed "the best carb shop in Austin" had been through them -- it had sat for some time.  While it ran OK, it had aftermarket pipes.  The hesitation you experience is endemic to lower back pressure afforded by aftermarket pipes, and this bike was no exception.  When I opened up the carbs to rejet them, I was not impressed with the quality of the work that had been done, to say the least.  Spent more time replacing screws he had stripped, etc., than I did replacing the jets.  So if that is the best we have, then we are in serious trouble.

I have rejetted two '96 Magnas using the procedure found on the MOOT web site.  Round trip is typically about two hours.  There are others than can do it in an hour, but I am not that experienced.

I have all the tools, and am quite willing to do the work while you watch, or show you how to do it, if you want to buy the jet kits and ride out toward Driftwood at some mutually convenient time.  No charge.  Part of the "Pay it Forward" attitude of moot folks.  I have received so much help from moot members that I am way behind the curve, and this will give me the chance to catch up just a bit if you are game.
Lawrence
'96 Blue Austin TX
Ride to Live, Live to Ride longer Wear a Helmet

Offline hootmon

• Honorary MOOT Member
  • MOOT Super Contributor
  • '94 Yellow Magna, Safety Harbor, Fl.
    • Spoke 'N Truth M/M
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 06:01:56 PM »
Welcome cliffyhills from Tampa Bay, Floriduh!!!
I'm sorry, I'm a bit out of the way to help you, but I'd take Lawrence up on his offer!!!
I think he likes Pie for payment!!!

"accidents aren't predictable, don't be a DUMBASS" - MD Dan