Author Topic: MagnaWing Project - Suggestions Welcome  (Read 770 times)

Offline SabreWing

• "Lord please take me on my feet or on my Bike."
MagnaWing Project - Suggestions Welcome
« on: January 08, 2018, 06:31:01 PM »
Greetings!
I am in the planning phase of a project I have in mind. I'd like to make a nice full dress touring bike out of a Sabre or Magna. I picked up a very nice Vetter Windjammer 5 fairing with brackets, along with a tourpack and lowers, backrest, etc. The PO indicated that all of this was pulled off of an early first Gen Honda V45 Magna, perhaps an 82 or 83. The mounting brackets for the fairing are unusual among Vetter stuff, as there are TWO, rather than ONE. I'm pretty sure I can use these brackets on either a Magna OR a Sabre.

I had originally thought to use a Magna for this project ("MagnaWing") but I kept coming back to the terrible fuel capacity and range of the Magna, thinking to add an aux tank, etc, but then it occurred to me, Sabres have bigger tanks already, and pro-link suspension.

Has anyone done this already?

Some questions I have:

Is the trail and rake angle on the V65 Sabre the same as it is on the V45? I'm trying to figure out if I can use a V65 instead of a V45. I'm fine with the V45, but have never had a V65 and must admit the idea gives me at least a partial chub.

I know it's POSSIBLE to find a Sabre with the factory fairing and bags, but I like the Vetter setup better, and it will be better for the kind of touring I intend to do.

Anyhow, thought I would drop by, say "HI" and see if anyone has done this, or something like it? Link me to the thread, if so?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 08:55:31 PM by SabreWing »

Offline hootmon

• Honorary MOOT Member
  • MOOT Super Contributor
  • '94 Yellow Magna, Safety Harbor, Fl.
    • Spoke 'N Truth M/M
Re: SabreWing Project - Suggestions Welcome
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 10:29:23 PM »
Welcome from Tampa Bay...
Great stuff..
Please update and post pictures along the way..
I'm a 3rd Gen guy, so probably not much help!!

"accidents aren't predictable, don't be a DUMBASS" - MD Dan

Offline TLRam1

• MOOT Website/Forum Sponsor
  • MOOT Member
  • MOOT Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 12:27:43 AM »
Welcome, not much help here either. I like the ideas flowing though.
Terry

My mama always told me never put off till tomorrow people you can kill today.

Allen, TX.

74 GT750 - 75 GT380 – 01 Magna - 03 KX 250-01 – 04 WR 450 - 74 T500 Titan

Offline Jerry G Turner

• MOOT Member
  • 5th Gear Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 10:39:50 AM »
Go to the v4 musclebike forumn and search vetter fairing someone has pictures of how they installed one and the mounts they made to install it. Good luck with you project and please keep us posted on your progress.
MOOT#428
Arlington, Texas
I'm not young enough to know everything

Offline SabreWing

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 02:58:17 PM »
I have the specific Vetter brackets for the V45, mounting the fairing will be simple and easy. No custom mounts are needed, nothing to fabricate.

My only question is: Is the rake/trail angle on the Sabre V65 the SAME as the V45?

EG, I KNOW my fairing and brackets will work on the V45, that's what they came off of . . . .

What I DON'T know is if they will also work on the V65.

Yes, somebody did a  similar project on the V4 forum, but they DID NOT have the correct Vetter fairing  bracket (I DO) thus had to fabricate mounts, etc, etc.

I'd be ok with the Sabre V45, in any case. Can anyone suggest a particular YEAR of the first Gen to use for this? I want to use a REAL V45 not a v42, so 86 is out. What year would YOU use? Why?

Thanks!

Offline MagnaMan

• Administrator
  • 4th Gear Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 12:55:18 PM »
Welcome aboard.

Kerri used to be our resident Magnawing expert but his was constructed out of a V45 and a vetter fairing. We lost touch with him after he moved out of the state.

Check out http://v4hondabbs.com/ for a lot of first gen Sabre and Magna knowledge. Someone there will probably be able to answer your Sabre-specific question. Search for the answer first though... Years ago that forum could become a very negative environment to people that they considered to be newbs or if they felt you hadn't searched extensively enough before asking a question. The environment may have changed but I haven't been back because I don't own a first or second generation bike.
Jesse
Moot #358
'99 Magna (Halloween theme paint job)
Racetech Cartridge Emulators in front forks, Progressive 444s on the rear. Best mods I've ever made to this bike.
Houston

Offline SabreWing

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 05:59:42 PM »
Updated 02/19/18

Project SabreWing is now again "Project MagnaWing," due to my recently acquiring a beautiful 99% complete 1983 V45 Magna. She has low miles (31K) and was complete with the engine guard, backrest, and tailgate rack . . . all OEM. She also sported a Spitfire fairing to boot.

Crazy blue metal flake aftermarket paint on the tank and covers, but a well done job, obviously. Looks cool and no paint transfer when I waxed the pieces.

This is not my first Rodeo in bringing these old girls back to life, so I've got the basic stuff covered. What I do have is a "wish list" for the few parts and pieces I know I am missing.

Fuel Pump/Battery Compartment

PO has replaced the OEM pump with an aftermarket version, which also required the addition of an oil pressure gauge/shutoff switch to prevent the pump from running if the motor stops (oil pressure drops),  as opposed to the OEM version which operates through the pump relay off of back pressure. When I got the bike pretty much everything in the compartment is sort of "hanging there," and from looking at the parts diagram it appears at least a few parts are missing here. The aftermarket pump is even zip tied loosely in the compartment! I have the old OEM pump and TWO fuel pump relays.

My hypothesis is that the PO had an OEM pump failure, and first tried replacing the relay. When that did not work, (and probably unable/unwilling to pay for a new OEM) went with the aftermarket pump. Anyhow:

From the parts diagram, it looks like there are two or three parts that retain the battery within the compartment, perhaps two brackets and a rubber band? (Strap?) I have NONE of these. I have no hardware to mount the replacement OEM pump I plan on installing. I suspect that one of more of the rubber mount brackety support things are also broken/missing.

Does anyone here have these parts lying around? Also, can someone please explain the battery compartment diagram to me, as if I were a 14 year old picking up a wrench for the first time? Again, I have looked at the diagram, printed it out, but since I'm missing stuff it's hard to put the pieces together in my mind. I'm sure I could find all these on eBay, of course, eventually, but the parts diagram does not even list what the "missing" parts are LOL!

I'd pay shipping plus a fair price of course. I have some cherry Super Magna stuff and other cool vintage parts to trade, let's talk!

I will get some pictures up shortly, its' been SNOWING here the last couple days FFS.

Offline TLRam1

• MOOT Member
  • MOOT Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 12:02:15 AM »
Wish I could remember all who had these, they probably do not check the forum any longer and had or bought bikes for parts. If you could locate their names from years past and send them a PM you may get lucky.
Terry

Allen, TX.

Offline SabreWing

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 11:22:18 PM »
Here is an update for the house, and also a question.

I have the Windjammer mounted up with the lowers mocked on. I don't much like the lines of the lower as it sits, and would like to cut it down so that it works well but matches the "style" of the bike, maybe even shows the lines of the fuel tank a little better? Anyhow, I will start uploading photos to this thread.

Man matching up the Vetter fairing "stock" plug harness with the relevant headlight bucket bullets was a fricken nightmare. I wrote it all down and took pictures while doing it, for the benefit of anyone else who also wants to mount up a Jammer to their first GEN.

I have also started building a harness for the tourpack, and my goal so far is to leave the stock wiring harness completely intact and untouched. So far everything in the bucket is plug and play, easy peasy once you figure out how the bloody color codes line up.

I've replaced half all the pod bulbs with some awesome color matched LEDS from superbright. Had to shave the little ones down a bit but no big deal, hardest part was tracking down polarity.

Got the beast running today! First time in seven years or so. Hopefully the carbs will come back on line without too much work or a rebuild.

Anyhow, here's the pic of the mocked up Jammer and lower. Ideas on how to trim the lower? Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 11:50:44 PM by SabreWing »

Offline Jerry G Turner

• MOOT Member
  • 5th Gear Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 04:28:39 PM »
It looks great.
MOOT#428
Arlington, Texas

Offline SabreWing

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 07:35:23 PM »
So does your Super! Did you make the rider backrest bracket or did you buy it somewhere? Very cool.

Offline Jerry G Turner

• MOOT Member
  • 5th Gear Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2018, 11:07:10 PM »
I made the backrest out of a passenger backrest I bought on eBay just had to drill some holes and bolt it down. Thanks.
MOOT#428
Arlington, Texas

Offline TLRam1

• MOOT Member
  • MOOT Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 02:50:36 AM »
Good looking work you have done attaching the Jammer and glad to you see you bring a older bike back to life.
Terry

Allen, TX.

Offline SabreWing

Re: MagnaWing Project - Suggestions Welcome
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2018, 09:13:17 PM »
Updated 3/18/18

A little on hold right now, always the frustrating time while waiting for parts. While racking the shifter to check the polarity on the "OD" LED, the 4" tie rod just decided to break at the transmission spline side. Sigh.

A bummer because she is RUNNING. Not super well or anything, but pretty damn good for a bike that had not been started in 7 or 8 years. Garaged her entire life, thank God, but still.

I was even able to leave her at a rough high idle and walk away for awhile, today.

Anyhow. Off to ACE hardware to see about replacing the tie rod, after searching everywhere for a new one, and finding only 35 year old shifter assemblies on eBay, I thought I could fabricate one out of a 6mm metric rod, a connector nut, and some lock nuts.

Too cool for school, cut down the rod with the dremel, hook the two pieces with the connector . . . and the SOCKET on the damn tie rod end is corroded, bent, and will not accept ANY bolt. Also there is no "swivel" to the end, frozen and rusted in place from brake fluid dropped over the years, I guess.

Well, still a good idea, and for $2.10 at ACE versus $30 for an antique shifter assembly, I had to try it. Now on to plan B.

Also, after turning the bike around (so the pipes faced OUTSIDE) as I nursed her back to running, I noticed that the right side bracket for the Jammer is badly bent, about 3/4" out of whack. I never noticed it when the "Good" side of the fairing was facing out, but you can see how bad it is from a previous photo. The bracket nearly touches the fake air cleaner cover on the right side, resulting in a nice "twist" to the jammer when it's bolted up.

Torn between have a professional straighten it the right way, or doing it the old "Billy Bob" way myself.

Budget says call Billy lol!

You all have a good week now, hyuh?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 09:15:38 PM by SabreWing »

Offline SabreWing

Re: MagnaWing Project - Suggestions Welcome
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2018, 02:54:34 PM »
Bunch of parts came in, including front brakes, a NOS bracket that I'm going to try to make work for the tourpack. Also a vintage headlight connector for the Jammer.

No need to rebuild the MCs or the calipers at this point, I already rebuilt the slave.

Now if I can just get the !#$@ clutch bled down!

Oh yeah, I've been running her every day, I have red line plus now, and a kinda rough high idle.

There is hope.

Waiting for more parts, need a tie rod and end.