Questionable

Author Topic: Compact air horn relay wiring question for 98 Magna  (Read 594 times)

Offline Bluepepper

• Everything looks better from inside my helmet...
Compact air horn relay wiring question for 98 Magna
« on: February 12, 2018, 02:02:40 PM »
I know this topic was covered in past years, but pics posted on the wiring are no longer available here (dead links).  There are two wires from the existing horn that have me baffled in sorting out which one to use on the relay.  I have a fused line going from the battery to the relay #30 connector, and a wire from the positive side of the air horn going to relay #87 connector (and the negative side of the air horn going to the frame for ground).  Which of the two wires from the existing horn go to #86 (or #85)?  One wire looks like it's solid black and the other looks like it's black with a stripe?  Help here would be really appreciated.  I have tried looking this up and it's been frustrating after trying several options and blowing several fuses.  I have done this before for my Suzuki and it was simple to follow the diagram provided, so where am I going wrong?
1998 Honda Magna
2005 Suzuki SV650

Offline hootmon

• Honorary MOOT Member
  • MOOT Super Contributor
  • '94 Yellow Magna, Safety Harbor, Fl.
    • Spoke 'N Truth M/M
Re: Compact air horn relay wiring question for 98 Magna
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 06:20:25 PM »
OK.. So the horn wires should be just being used to activate the relay.. So you should be able to trial and error it (But the stripped one is the hot I BELIEVE).
IF the one you use is the ground and you push the horn button, Nothing will happen
IF it is the hot, then when you push the horn button you should here the relay click.. You may not want to have the air horn connected when you try this.. It may be hard to hear the click over the blasting noise!!! LOL

"accidents aren't predictable, don't be a DUMBASS" - MD Dan

Offline Bluepepper

• Everything looks better from inside my helmet...
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 07:59:23 PM »
Thanks for these (most helpful) tips; will give it try. 

I am looking at mounting the relay under the frame/fuel tank.  Can a relay be mounted in any direction?  I experienced some strange results in mounting it  (zip tie under the frame horizontally instead of vertically) and don't know if my relay is faulty or was not aware of any sensitivity in the orientation.
1998 Honda Magna
2005 Suzuki SV650

Offline TLRam1

• MOOT Website/Forum Sponsor
  • MOOT Member
  • MOOT Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 01:02:07 AM »
Orientation should not matter in relays but it might need to have a good ground verses zip-tied, I don't know just throwing that out there without thinking about it. 
Terry

My mama always told me never put off till tomorrow people you can kill today.

Allen, TX.

74 GT750 - 75 GT380 – 01 Magna - 03 KX 250-01 – 04 WR 450 - 74 T500 Titan

Offline hootmon

• Honorary MOOT Member
  • MOOT Super Contributor
  • '94 Yellow Magna, Safety Harbor, Fl.
    • Spoke 'N Truth M/M
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 07:42:57 AM »
Most of the modern ones are plastic.. Orientation does not matter.. Good ground is important thought, so make sure it is mounted to the frame somewhere for example..
Mine is under the tank as well (Forward of the snorkel)

"accidents aren't predictable, don't be a DUMBASS" - MD Dan

Offline lragan

• MOOTMag Committee
  • Full Throttle Contributor
    • Lawrence's Homepage
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 04:06:45 PM »
Mine is also under the tank -- left side.
Orientation is not of consequence.  Grounding is important especially to complete the connection which caries current to the horn. 

Shock and vibration can mess with mechanical relays.  Mount it securely, wherever you put it.
Lawrence
'96 Blue Austin TX
Ride to Live, Live to Ride longer Wear a Helmet

Offline MagnaMan

• Administrator
  • 4th Gear Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 03:45:43 PM »
I mounted the relay in the battery area. I can take photos. The way I installed mine, I did not have to hack the original wiring harness at all.
Jesse
Moot #358
'99 Magna (Halloween theme paint job)
Racetech Cartridge Emulators in front forks, Progressive 444s on the rear. Best mods I've ever made to this bike.
Houston

Offline lragan

• MOOTMag Committee
  • Full Throttle Contributor
    • Lawrence's Homepage
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 04:08:16 PM »
I didn't have to hack the wiring harness for the air horn -- but I did unbundle it to let the proper connector reach the relocated regulator/rectifier.
Lawrence
'96 Blue Austin TX
Ride to Live, Live to Ride longer Wear a Helmet