Take the long way home

Long Time Lurker(Read 775 times)
Long Time Lurker on: April 02, 2018, 05:06:33 PM
I have been registered here for a long time, but never posted before.  About six years ago I bought my first bike, a 3d generation Magna, and learned to ride at 59.  We have done more than 50,000 miles since then, with hardly any problems.  Picture attached, from about a year ago.

Interested in finding some other riders in the North Dallas area.  I do all my own work, mostly at the Dallas Makerspace.  They have been an awesome resource for making accessories and providing a work space.   

Re: Long Time Lurker Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 06:06:17 PM
Welcome.. I'd ride with you, but I'm in Tampa!!!

"accidents aren't predictable, don't be a DUMBASS" - MD Dan

Re: Long Time Lurker Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 12:56:10 AM
Yea, I noticed that allot of the people on here are from "out of town".  I guess "of Texas" is more a state of mind than a state of the union...

Re: Long Time Lurker Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 01:22:22 AM
Never heard of Dallas Makerspace, what is the cost, do you bring your own tools, how does that work?

I have friends I use to ride with on Saturdays for breakfast rides, things change and we do not get together like we use to and I am not free as much as I use to be. I did head down this past Saturday and met about 30 other bikes at the legendary Louie Mieller's BBQ in Taylor, some of the best brisket I have had.

We use to do rides here ever so often, participation dropped so that ended for the most part. If I had the time I would put together some rides. 
Terry

My mama always told me never put off till tomorrow people you can kill today.

Allen, TX.

74 GT750 - 75 GT380 – 01 Magna - 03 KX 250-01 – 04 WR 450 - 74 T500 Titan

Re: Long Time Lurker Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 02:40:16 PM
The Makerspace, dallasmakerspace.org, is 16,000 square feet of tools and equipment, with training for everything.  They supply the tools and training, you supply raw materials.  Cost is $50/month, plus one time fees of $5-$30 for classes. It is a not-for-profit corp, all volunteer organization.

I learned to TIG weld recently.  They have a full machine shop, metal fab shop with CNC plasma cutter and welding, powder coating, 3D printing, CNC laser cutting, electronics lab, etc.  I have made a windshield and a luggage rack, powder coated my mirrors, and changed my tires (see the picture).  That space is now taken up with an automotive lift, but there is room for a couple cars and bikes.

Re: Long Time Lurker Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 10:34:33 PM
I like the setup and availability of machines individuals could not afford or have access to. If you don't mind I am going to post this info on another forum.
Terry

My mama always told me never put off till tomorrow people you can kill today.

Allen, TX.

74 GT750 - 75 GT380 – 01 Magna - 03 KX 250-01 – 04 WR 450 - 74 T500 Titan

Re: Long Time Lurker Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 04:42:15 PM
Sure, post it all you want.  They have free tours on Thursday nights at 7PM.