Author Topic: Chain  (Read 229 times)

Offline TLRam1

• MOOT Website/Forum Sponsor
  • MOOT Member
  • MOOT Super Contributor
Chain
« on: May 07, 2018, 04:44:37 AM »
Hootmon,

Took a drive with some guys for a pie run and my chain was making a racket again, last month on a BBQ run the chain was jumping the CS sprocket, never had a chain do that on any bike. It was not stretched too far just not lasting between chain lubrication. In the past, when the chain gets loose on the Magna you can hear it slapping around.

This was a JT Sprocket chain, I try different chains just to see how they work. When I took the pins out of the master link there was no grease inside, only a partially surface rusted pin.

Changing out this chain I did everything wrong and it took me 4 hours, I am a little slower these days still this was a bit long.

Hoot I was going to go back to my go-to chain I normally use but decided to try the most expensive, highest tensile strength, heaviest chain DID makes, never tried one before. If you can't keep the lube inside the O-Rings, the O-Rings become counter productive and they keep the lube out.

I am trying the 17 tooth CS sprocket also, I didn't seem to mind it on the pie run. Keeping my eye on the Dragon tire also Hoot.
Terry

My mama always told me never put off till tomorrow people you can kill today.

Allen, TX.

74 GT750 - 75 GT380 – 01 Magna - 03 KX 250-01 – 04 WR 450 - 74 T500 Titan

Offline hootmon

• Honorary MOOT Member
  • MOOT Super Contributor
  • '94 Yellow Magna, Safety Harbor, Fl.
    • Spoke 'N Truth M/M
Re: Chain
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 07:47:47 AM »
I cut the chain off of Red yesterday (at the master link)..
I will take the chain to work today and give it a thorough cleaning..
I also did not find much grease on the pins of the master link.. and some wear on one of the pins. 
This will still be a BIG improvement over the chain Blackie has now..
I will trailer both bikes down on Tuesday after noon for blackie to get a chain install and red to get new sprockets and the new chain..

I will remind the mechanic to grease the pins well before installing them..

This is just a phobia I have about installing chains.. Seems like an important part of the motorcycle, and I leave it to a professional!
It' is also worth 4 hours of my time..

I wound up going back to a 16T CS sprocket.. I found there wasn't much top end with the 17 sprocket..
IF I were taking a long trip, I would put on the 17, but for everyday, I like the 16 better..

"accidents aren't predictable, don't be a DUMBASS" - MD Dan

Offline TLRam1

• MOOT Website/Forum Sponsor
  • MOOT Member
  • MOOT Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 03:36:28 PM »
What do you mean the top end was lost on the 17 Tooth?

Yeah 4 hours, this is for the birds but most of it was my own doing.
Terry

My mama always told me never put off till tomorrow people you can kill today.

Allen, TX.

74 GT750 - 75 GT380 – 01 Magna - 03 KX 250-01 – 04 WR 450 - 74 T500 Titan

Offline hootmon

• Honorary MOOT Member
  • MOOT Super Contributor
  • '94 Yellow Magna, Safety Harbor, Fl.
    • Spoke 'N Truth M/M
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 10:26:39 PM »
What do you mean the top end was lost on the 17 Tooth?

Yeah 4 hours, this is for the birds but most of it was my own doing.

If I was doing 70 MPH, and I wanted to pick up speed, I pretty much had to drop a gear..
The Magna just doesn't have the torque to really pull off the gear ratio (In my opinion)..

BUT, if I was going to do a superslab trip (like the one I did to Arkansas, then saving a million revolutions on the motor, would likely be worth it..

"accidents aren't predictable, don't be a DUMBASS" - MD Dan