Take the long way home

New Scorpion Helmet Ordered(Read 311 times)
New Scorpion Helmet Ordered on: January 29, 2019, 10:02:34 PM
I was in major need of a new helmet.. I was in a rush (I broke the one I was using)..
I wound up with a Scorpion EXO 110 in flat black which is along the lines of the helmets my wife and I have been using for some years now..  We have been very happy with these 1/2 helmets.. They have an internal visor, a cold weather insert to cover your ears, and ventilate well.. I got a demo model for $49 bucks in my size so SCORE!!
However, In my (during lunch hour) rush of shopping at 2 stores, I came across another helmet that caught my eye..
It is a Scorpion (Great Customer Service).. It's called a Scorpion Covert helmet.
It comes in a couple of basic colors and they have a couple of sort of custom looking schemes.. I took my wife to see one and The one that fit her was one of the custom ones.. Normally this helmet goes for $229. It was on sale for $149 and My wife was like, "I don't want a helmet others have been trying on".. I said, YES you can go buy it on line, but it's going to be $229! Look the Liner comes out and we can wash it.. She relented.. We told the salesmen, well we like it, but people have been wearing it and my wife is a little hesitant.. It's the only one that fits her.. Can you do any better on the price? So he knocked it down to $139.. So we bought it.. We washed the inserts and bam.. Good to go.
This helmet comes with both a smoke and clear drop down internal eye shield (only one can be used at a time).
The REALLY cool feature of this helmet is : It is a full face, and a 3/4 and a 1/2 helmet all built into one helmet..
When full assembled it is a full face, There is a front mask that pops right out and it becomes a 3/4, then you remove the lower section and it becomes a 1/2 helmet..
It is a bit of a pain to remove the lower portion.. We went to remove it and the latch broke.. It would be just fine without the latch, BUT.. I called Scorpion to ask them to send us a new latch..
They refused.. They said you can't get just the latch... We will send you a complete lower section for free...
Within a week, we received the new part...
I've been waiting for my wife to wear it a few times and she really likes the helmet (I figured if she didn't like it, I would just take hers).. We rode on a pretty cold ride this week-end and she liked the full face protection. 
As many of you know, I now have a red Victory.. I found a pretty cool Black version with a red stars and stripes pattern.. Unfortunately, it can only be purchased out the Netherlands.. So, I have purchased it.. I had to pay full price, but did get free shipping.. So my new helmet is on it's way and will be here sometime in February..

"accidents aren't predictable, don't be a DUMBASS" - MD Dan

Re: New Scorpion Helmet Ordered Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 10:07:27 PM
This is what the wifey's helmet looks like..

Re: New Scorpion Helmet Ordered Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 02:16:46 AM
Those are some neat helmets, I like how they look and the options offered.
Terry

My mama always told me never put off till tomorrow people you can kill today.

Allen, TX.

74 GT750 - 75 GT380 – 01 Magna - 03 KX 250-01 – 04 WR 450 - 74 T500 Titan

Re: New Scorpion Helmet Ordered Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 12:48:56 PM
Nice.  I am a fan of Scorpion's helmets, good price/perf ratio.  But I always get a bit leary when parts start coming off as to what the crash ratings are with the pieces on and off.

Re: New Scorpion Helmet Ordered Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 09:49:54 PM
Well, I received the Helmet..
It appears that Scorpion USA and Scorpion Europe are related, but never talk...
The helmet meets Euro Standards, but the way they achieved the standard is that the lower does not remove from the 1/2 helmet..
Which is better for safety, worse for optional functionality..
I contacted the seller (in the Netherlands), and they agreed that they did not note the difference between the Covert helmet (USA), and the combat helmet (Europe) well enough for there NOT to be confusion and are willing to take the helmet back (Of course, my dime, back to the Netherlands)..
I would keep the helmet, BUT the Medium I ordered is TOO small if I have to leave the lower on all the time..
My plan is to return this one, then order a large. Once it arrives, I will just remove the Ear padding (which removes to be washed) and ride like that all summer. SO, it looks like a 3/4, but is really a 1/2 helmet with a skirt that has an air gap to let air by your ears, etc..
Florida is brutal for wearing gear.. Not only is it hot, but also very high humidity..
The nice thing about the Euro model is it comes with a ratchet strap, so no double D ring...

Let me know if any of you have any questions..