Take the long way home

Regulator(Read 701 times)
Re: Regulator Reply #30 on: August 27, 2019, 09:13:19 PM
Stator comes in via the yellow wires through regulator then through the black connector, where is the connection that ties the regulator output to charge the battery? That would be the last connection point other than the ground wire, yes?
three yellows in... (AC voltage)
2 blacks / 2 reds out (DC voltage) Reds are hot, Blacks are ground
The only reason there is 2 Reds/Blacks is to carry enough current. The 2 reds are common to each other as well as the blacks are common..

"accidents aren't predictable, don't be a DUMBASS" - MD Dan

Re: Regulator Reply #31 on: August 30, 2019, 09:19:30 PM
Another friend recommended to check this.

I need a new volt gauge on my dash, hooked another meter to the system and it climbs on to 14.42 with no problem, 14.25 with aux. lights on.

I will see where I can get another and a new regulator with oiled up connections doesn't hurt. 
Terry

My mama always told me never put off till tomorrow people you can kill today.

Allen, TX.

74 GT750 - 75 GT380 – 01 Magna - 03 KX 250-01 – 04 WR 450 - 74 T500 Titan

Re: Regulator Reply #32 on: August 30, 2019, 09:28:23 PM
Now I have two spare good regulators, I replaced one when I bought the bike with 3500 miles, it was the battery and now this one I just took out.

Seems like on this bike I am quick to replaced the regulator, fortunately that has not been the problem that has left me stranded somewhere.
Terry

Allen, TX.

Re: Regulator Reply #33 on: August 30, 2019, 09:32:32 PM
Now I have two spare good regulators, I replaced one when I bought the bike with 3500 miles, it was the battery and now this one I just took out.

Seems like on this bike I am quick to replaced the regulator, fortunately that has not been the problem that has left me stranded somewhere.

Just ordered a new voltmeter for the bike.
Terry

Allen, TX.

Re: Regulator Reply #34 on: September 01, 2019, 06:41:27 PM
Here are a couple of quick observations: 
1) Your ignition module will draw substantially more current at high rpm that at idle.  Perhaps the cause of the voltage drop.
2) I am surprised that you get 14 volts at idle.  I no longer have mine to measure on, but in my memory, charging on both my bikes did not do much below 3000 rpm.
3) The total power available from the charging system, according to the manual, is about 400 watts.  I replaced my filament supplementary running lights with LED ones, as my generating system could not support the entire load I had on it, and the battery would actually discharge, even when running 5K or more RPM, with the auxiliary lights on.  With the lower current but much brighter LEDs, this problem went away.
4) It is not easy to measure the current to/from the battery.  One needs a high current, low value resistor in series with the battery, and a voltmeter across it that measures in millivolts.  I never bothered to rig up such a measuring system.
5) I relocated my regulator/rectifier, using an aftermarket unit with MOSFET instead of bipolar transistors, to the frame on the right side of the bike, just behind the side cover.  Gets it out of the high heat from the engine, and into the slipstream.  I posted some temperature measurements I made of the case of the R/R at the new location.  The only place where it was not clearly superior to the original mount under the battery box was parked at idle in direct sunlight for an extended period.
6) From your video, and with no additional load connected, it would appear that your system is not giving you the advertised 400 watts -- or your ignition system is drawing substantially more current than standard. I did not hear any misfiring, so if you have not modified it, it is probably OK.
7) I concur that a stator problem is rare.  It is possible, but not likely, that if the rotor got very hot at some point (and I mean VERY hot -- like smoking the oil) the magnetic strength could be compromised and you would not get the full output even with a good stator.
Finally, if you are coming to the reunion at Greg's place, let me know.  I will bring some test gear and we can sniff around a bit.  Might dope it out.
Lawrence
'96 Blue Austin TX
Ride to Live, Live to Ride longer Wear a Helmet

Re: Regulator Reply #35 on: September 01, 2019, 11:44:16 PM

three yellows in... (AC voltage)
2 blacks / 2 reds out (DC voltage) Reds are hot, Blacks are ground
The only reason there is 2 Reds/Blacks is to carry enough current. The 2 reds are common to each other as well as the blacks are common..

And thanks for this explanation, that made sense.
Terry

Allen, TX.

Re: Regulator Reply #36 on: September 02, 2019, 12:07:11 AM
NOW you show up Lawrence now that the party is over! I thought something had happened to you.

I am not aware of the reunion at Greg's place, I didn't get that email or memo, where did you hear about this or maybe Greg did not invite me for a reason. Hmm.

Thanks for the write-up and help Lawrence, looks like the voltmeter gauge on the bike is malfunctioning, the gauge was never on my radar until someone mentioned it. I hooked up a handheld voltmeter and saw normal readings, 14.42 w/o aux. lights and 14.25 w/aux lights. I have a new gauge for the bike coming. 

Once the new gauge is on I will put up a new video for reference.
Terry

Allen, TX.

Re: Regulator Reply #37 on: September 02, 2019, 09:49:26 AM
I told Greg NOT to invite you...
He invited me, but I said "If Terry's going, then count me out"
So he dropped you from the list...
Just joking.. I have no idea.. You know I didn't get invited!!!
Anywayz... Voltage meter eh? Who'd of thunk that???
I did send Lawrence your way BTW.. Looks like he did a bunch of head scratching for nothing, but always good to read his take on things...

Re: Regulator Reply #38 on: September 03, 2019, 01:48:49 PM
Greg posted to the Facebook Page for MOOT.  For those who don't do Facebook, the event starts 10 am or so on Sept. 28th at Greg's place.  Would love to see you there, and feel certain that you would be invited if we could find you...
There were no individual invitations that I am aware of.  If you can come, send me a PM, and I will get the address for you.   8-)

I have been absent the forum since I sold my bikes.  Still melancholy about it, but it was time.  When I see you next in person, I will explain in detail.

Glad you got it sorted out.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 01:52:29 PM by lragan »
Lawrence
'96 Blue Austin TX
Ride to Live, Live to Ride longer Wear a Helmet

Re: Regulator Reply #39 on: September 05, 2019, 01:19:52 AM
It is not the gauge!

The power for the gauge comes from Switched Power, something has changed and all the voltage is not being passed to the gauge. I will have to see where the power is coming from, may just run a new wire or tie into some other source.
Terry

Allen, TX.

Re: Regulator Reply #40 on: September 05, 2019, 07:37:40 AM
It is not the gauge!

The power for the gauge comes from Switched Power, something has changed and all the voltage is not being passed to the gauge. I will have to see where the power is coming from, may just run a new wire or tie into some other source.

UUUUUUUUUUgh!!!!!

Re: Regulator Reply #41 on: September 08, 2019, 10:50:18 PM
Okay, lets try to bring this to an end for MY benefit.

Tracing the switched power back it is coming out of the ignition that way (not at full voltage) not sure if the volts are going into the ignition switch this way (capped or reduced a bit) or if the ignition switch is the culprit. If it matters to anyone, the red wire out of the ignition is where the connection is tied to.   

I have been over the front of the bike (headlight and such) looking for another switched power source. The voltage gauge has three wires, power, indicated voltage and ground. I had two wires connected to the switched voltage source as there was no need to separate these two wires.

I now have separated these, I left the power wire connected to the switched power line and found a wire connected straight to the battery I tied the indicated voltage wire to. 

Reference for voltage, how it should look and work.
https://youtu.be/S8f8iLBYsY0
Terry

Allen, TX.