Take the long way home

Blackie Carbs(Read 87 times)
Blackie Carbs on: September 06, 2019, 06:29:55 PM
My 2002 Black bike needs to have the carbs pulled.
It is leaking fuel between the carbs..
I already got the seals from Dave Dodge..
Waiting for the Hellish heat to die down so I can get the carbs pulled.
I'm going to take them to my local mechanic and let him do the tearing apart and putting together..
So I have not been riding the Magna much at all because of the fuel leak..

I wanted to get something posted to the page... To at least let everyone know I'm alive after the Hurricane..

The Vic is seeing some action in the mean time.. Just did my 5K oil change on it..

Going up to my brothers in North Carolina in a couple weeks with the 2 Vics..

I'll update when I get the carbs pulled.

"accidents aren't predictable, don't be a DUMBASS" - MD Dan

Re: Blackie Carbs Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 08:36:51 AM
Having the same bike makes this a topic of interest for me. Keep us posted.
2002 vf750c

Re: Blackie Carbs Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 09:34:30 AM
I'll be tearing my Magna apart over the Winter ... got new steering head bearings and possibly wheel bearings to install.  May also do the cam chain tensioners just for the heck of it since who knows how much longer those parts will be available.  Once it gets cool out up here, the Magna doesn't see much, if any action so why not.  I'll be retiring this Fall so I should have plenty of time to really dig into things and I've got my RT to ride when the weather permits so life is good  :D

Keep us updated on the progress on your bike and I'll try to do the same once I get started.

The wife & I may also be taking our bikes down to NC in the Spring (~ Easter) ... have family not too far from Asheville.  Maybe one of these years we'll be in the same place at the same time ... I'd look forward to that. Until then, ride safe my friend!

Charlie
=======================================
96 VF750C Magna - Pearl Shinning Yellow - Factory Pro Jet Kit
Vance&Hines Classic II Pipes - Progressive 440 Rear Shocks
Race Tech Gold Valve Cartridge Emulators & Fork Springs

16 BMW R1200RT - :) :) :)

Re: Blackie Carbs Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 07:33:38 AM
I'll be tearing my Magna apart over the Winter ... got new steering head bearings and possibly wheel bearings to install.  May also do the cam chain tensioners just for the heck of it since who knows how much longer those parts will be available.  Once it gets cool out up here, the Magna doesn't see much, if any action so why not.  I'll be retiring this Fall so I should have plenty of time to really dig into things and I've got my RT to ride when the weather permits so life is good  :D

Keep us updated on the progress on your bike and I'll try to do the same once I get started.

The wife & I may also be taking our bikes down to NC in the Spring (~ Easter) ... have family not too far from Asheville.  Maybe one of these years we'll be in the same place at the same time ... I'd look forward to that. Until then, ride safe my friend!
IF you are going to change tensioners, I'd suggest to just do the front one.. It seems it is always the front one that goes, and I'm not sure I've ever heard of a rear one going bad..
I will go visit my brother in a couple of weeks, he is in Maggie Valley, so that is 30 Miles west of Asheville, so sound close to your family... 

Re: Blackie Carbs Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 07:45:27 PM
Which side on the front?
Terry

My mama always told me never put off till tomorrow people you can kill today.

Allen, TX.

74 GT750 - 75 GT380 – 01 Magna - 03 KX 250-01 – 04 WR 450 - 74 T500 Titan

Re: Blackie Carbs Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 09:30:23 PM
Which side on the front?
Not sure what you are asking.. There is a tensioner for each bank of cylinders..
One for the front bank and one for the rear bank...
The front tensioner (the one in the front of the V under the carbs is the one that goes bad.. The other one is on the back of the back bank near the regulator.. I'm pretty sure you know where THAT is!!! LOL

Re: Blackie Carbs Reply #6 on: September 08, 2019, 10:46:40 PM
I'm pretty sure you know where THAT is!!! LOL

Yes sir!

Okay, only two tensioners, got it. Do you or Charlie know if you have to remove the radiator?

How many miles are on your Magna Charlie? Is this your first swap of the tensioner on this bike?
Terry

My mama always told me never put off till tomorrow people you can kill today.

Allen, TX.

74 GT750 - 75 GT380 – 01 Magna - 03 KX 250-01 – 04 WR 450 - 74 T500 Titan

Re: Blackie Carbs Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 07:39:30 AM
I'm pretty sure you know where THAT is!!! LOL

Yes sir!

Okay, only two tensioners, got it. Do you or Charlie know if you have to remove the radiator?

How many miles are on your Magna Charlie? Is this your first swap of the tensioner on this bike?
The tensioner is actually on the backside of the front bank, so the radiator is not in play..
When I replaced mine (no symptoms), I did it while I had the carbs out.. That made the job much easier..