Take the long way home

2002 magna(Read 4020 times)
Re: 2002 magna Reply #30 on: December 31, 2019, 10:41:40 AM
sorry I have been away from the thread for a while..
Great that you are dealing with this...
My problem is one step deeper and that is the seals on the fuel cross over tubes..
I have my carbs out and have taken it to my local mechanic (I included parts with the carbs).
I'm sure I could take them apart, not quite as sure about getting them back together!! LOL..
I frequently run a little SeaFoam thru my tank.. The bike does occasionally sit, and it takes no time to clog up those little idle jets... The SeaFoam stabilizes the fuel and helps keep the jets cleaned out..
Keep us updated on your progress...
"accidents aren't predictable, don't be a DUMBASS" - MD Dan

Re: 2002 magna Reply #31 on: January 03, 2020, 08:58:28 AM
Got the reassembly done. Battery is a little weak,so turning it over requires a break for charging.1.5 amp chargers aren't fast. It dawned on me that it may take a while to prime four carbs when the fuel only flows while the motor is turning over. Got a little bit of a start but the battery needs another charge.
2002 vf750c

Re: 2002 magna Reply #32 on: January 03, 2020, 08:11:37 PM
Got it started. I replaced the vacuum line from the fuel cut off to the engine about a week ago because the end at the engine felt hard from the heat. I put the old one back on and It started. The new one was thicker than the old one, but maybe a little smaller opening. I also put new band type clamps in place of the wire type that were on it. Put the old ones back.
It's back to running like before with the flat spot at about 1800 rpms.
2002 vf750c

Re: 2002 magna Reply #33 on: January 06, 2020, 09:21:16 PM
Went to town today, and It runs better than before. But I was wishing that I had done the Dodge shims while I was at it.
2002 vf750c

Re: 2002 magna Reply #34 on: January 07, 2020, 03:26:47 AM
Should be running a whole lot better. Now that you have done it once, much easier the next time to add the shims.

Do you have a stock air filter and stock pipes?
Terry

My mama always told me never put off till tomorrow people you can kill today.

Allen, TX.

74 GT750 - 75 GT380 – 01 Magna - 03 KX 250-01 – 04 WR 450 - 74 T500 Titan

Re: 2002 magna Reply #35 on: January 07, 2020, 05:11:44 AM
Yes, stock filter and pipes.
2002 vf750c

Re: 2002 magna Reply #36 on: January 07, 2020, 07:50:47 AM
yes the 2nd shim helps with that lull between 3-4K RPM.. I believe you can remove the diaphragm lids without pulling the carbs..
Here is a helpful hint.. Once you have removed the lid, take one of the lid screws and thread it into the middle of the Diaphragm, then use the screw to pull the diaphragm out.. A firm tug will do it..

Re: 2002 magna Reply #37 on: January 07, 2020, 10:03:47 PM
Thanks for the tip, I didn't think of that when I had it apart. Once I found the clogged jets I wanted to get back on the road.
Today I fixed my turn signals. Good video on u tube helped me. Motorcycle medic I think. Anyway my sporadic to nonexistent turn signals are fixed.
During my wait for parts my research led me to a reason for overheating, which is too lean carbs. My temperature light would come on after riding on hot(90-95 degrees) days while sitting at a traffic light. Not sure I am ready to try synchronizing yet, but changing the mixture may help.

I appreciate all of the responses from everyone.
2002 vf750c

Re: 2002 magna Reply #38 on: January 08, 2020, 06:09:50 PM

During my wait for parts my research led me to a reason for overheating, which is too lean carbs. My temperature light would come on after riding on hot(90-95 degrees) days while sitting at a traffic light. Not sure I am ready to try synchronizing yet, but changing the mixture may help.

I appreciate all of the responses from everyone.
I 95% guarantee that this is the Radiator Thermister..
If you are sitting on the bike, look on the left side of the radiator. There is a round sensor screwed into the radiator.. THIS is your overheat problem.
Buy a new one and replace it.. I've had to replace 2 of those out of 3 gen 3's I've had.. 
It controls when the fan comes on.

Re: 2002 magna Reply #39 on: January 09, 2020, 05:17:12 AM
Assuming you have checked the radiator and it is full along with the reserve tank to the "full line".

My temp light flickered the other day also while sitting, this was unusual, it was dark and could not tell if the fan came on or not. 
Terry

My mama always told me never put off till tomorrow people you can kill today.

Allen, TX.

74 GT750 - 75 GT380 – 01 Magna - 03 KX 250-01 – 04 WR 450 - 74 T500 Titan

Re: 2002 magna Reply #40 on: January 09, 2020, 07:59:29 AM
I had to remove the lines on the water pump to access the clamp on the right rear carb, so lost about a cup of coolant which I replaced. I checked the coolant when I first experienced that annoying red light. When it happens while I'm parking somewhere I use the kill switch and let the fan run, never takes more than a minute to shut off.
 Just a heads up, I got my hydraulic lift from www.discountramps.com. It was the best deal I found a few years ago. They have a lot of things a man can use.
Radiator thermister isn't showing up on any exploded diagrams I've seen, but there is a forty to sixty dollar switch that looks like it will be it.

2002 vf750c

Re: 2002 magna Reply #41 on: January 10, 2020, 07:01:51 PM
I had to remove the lines on the water pump to access the clamp on the right rear carb, so lost about a cup of coolant which I replaced. I checked the coolant when I first experienced that annoying red light. When it happens while I'm parking somewhere I use the kill switch and let the fan run, never takes more than a minute to shut off.
 Just a heads up, I got my hydraulic lift from www.discountramps.com. It was the best deal I found a few years ago. They have a lot of things a man can use.
Radiator thermister isn't showing up on any exploded diagrams I've seen, but there is a forty to sixty dollar switch that looks like it will be it.
The Thermister issue isn't that it doesn't turn the fan on, it's that it turns it on too late and shuts off too early..
If you want to see if it's the Thermister..
Just start the bike before a ride.. Unplug the wire from the thermister.. Run a wire from the wire you just disconnected to ground.. The fan will come on, no go for a ride under the conditions when the light would normally come on...
If the light still comes on, you have another issue.. If the light never comes on, it's most likely the Thermister..

Re: 2002 magna Reply #42 on: March 05, 2020, 02:12:08 PM
Now that I've run a couple of tanks of gas through it my bike is doing much better.
This weather is keeping me from riding much. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and expertise.
The next thing is a front tire. I know a guy with a manual tire machine, may see about using it to save a few bucks. I'm not sure but the nearest place to have a tire changed is Canton I believe.
2002 vf750c