Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The Garage / Re: SabreWing Project - Suggestions Welcome
« Last post by TLRam1 on Yesterday at 12:02:15 AM »
Wish I could remember all who had these, they probably do not check the forum any longer and had or bought bikes for parts. If you could locate their names from years past and send them a PM you may get lucky.
The Garage / Re: SabreWing Project - Suggestions Welcome
« Last post by SabreWing on February 19, 2018, 05:59:42 PM »
Updated 02/19/18

Project SabreWing is now again "Project MagnaWing," due to my recently acquiring a beautiful 99% complete 1983 V45 Magna. She has low miles (31K) and was complete with the engine guard, backrest, and tailgate rack . . . all OEM. She also sported a Spitfire fairing to boot.

Crazy blue metal flake aftermarket paint on the tank and covers, but a well done job, obviously. Looks cool and no paint transfer when I waxed the pieces.

This is not my first Rodeo in bringing these old girls back to life, so I've got the basic stuff covered. What I do have is a "wish list" for the few parts and pieces I know I am missing.

Fuel Pump/Battery Compartment

PO has replaced the OEM pump with an aftermarket version, which also required the addition of an oil pressure gauge/shutoff switch to prevent the pump from running if the motor stops (oil pressure drops),  as opposed to the OEM version which operates through the pump relay off of back pressure. When I got the bike pretty much everything in the compartment is sort of "hanging there," and from looking at the parts diagram it appears at least a few parts are missing here. The aftermarket pump is even zip tied loosely in the compartment! I have the old OEM pump and TWO fuel pump relays.

My hypothesis is that the PO had an OEM pump failure, and first tried replacing the relay. When that did not work, (and probably unable/unwilling to pay for a new OEM) went with the aftermarket pump. Anyhow:

From the parts diagram, it looks like there are two or three parts that retain the battery within the compartment, perhaps two brackets and a rubber band? (Strap?) I have NONE of these. I have no hardware to mount the replacement OEM pump I plan on installing. I suspect that one of more of the rubber mount brackety support things are also broken/missing.

Does anyone here have these parts lying around? Also, can someone please explain the battery compartment diagram to me, as if I were a 14 year old picking up a wrench for the first time? Again, I have looked at the diagram, printed it out, but since I'm missing stuff it's hard to put the pieces together in my mind. I'm sure I could find all these on eBay, of course, eventually, but the parts diagram does not even list what the "missing" parts are LOL!

I'd pay shipping plus a fair price of course. I have some cherry Super Magna stuff and other cool vintage parts to trade, let's talk!

I will get some pictures up shortly, its' been SNOWING here the last couple days FFS.
The Garage / Re: Compact air horn relay wiring question for 98 Magna
« Last post by lragan on February 14, 2018, 04:06:45 PM »
Mine is also under the tank -- left side.
Orientation is not of consequence.  Grounding is important especially to complete the connection which caries current to the horn. 

Shock and vibration can mess with mechanical relays.  Mount it securely, wherever you put it.
« Last post by hootmon on February 14, 2018, 07:42:57 AM »
Most of the modern ones are plastic.. Orientation does not matter.. Good ground is important thought, so make sure it is mounted to the frame somewhere for example..
Mine is under the tank as well (Forward of the snorkel)
« Last post by TLRam1 on February 14, 2018, 01:02:07 AM »
Orientation should not matter in relays but it might need to have a good ground verses zip-tied, I don't know just throwing that out there without thinking about it. 
« Last post by Bluepepper on February 13, 2018, 07:59:23 PM »
Thanks for these (most helpful) tips; will give it try. 

I am looking at mounting the relay under the frame/fuel tank.  Can a relay be mounted in any direction?  I experienced some strange results in mounting it  (zip tie under the frame horizontally instead of vertically) and don't know if my relay is faulty or was not aware of any sensitivity in the orientation.
« Last post by hootmon on February 12, 2018, 06:20:25 PM »
OK.. So the horn wires should be just being used to activate the relay.. So you should be able to trial and error it (But the stripped one is the hot I BELIEVE).
IF the one you use is the ground and you push the horn button, Nothing will happen
IF it is the hot, then when you push the horn button you should here the relay click.. You may not want to have the air horn connected when you try this.. It may be hard to hear the click over the blasting noise!!! LOL
The Garage / Compact air horn relay wiring question for 98 Magna
« Last post by Bluepepper on February 12, 2018, 02:02:40 PM »
I know this topic was covered in past years, but pics posted on the wiring are no longer available here (dead links).  There are two wires from the existing horn that have me baffled in sorting out which one to use on the relay.  I have a fused line going from the battery to the relay #30 connector, and a wire from the positive side of the air horn going to relay #87 connector (and the negative side of the air horn going to the frame for ground).  Which of the two wires from the existing horn go to #86 (or #85)?  One wire looks like it's solid black and the other looks like it's black with a stripe?  Help here would be really appreciated.  I have tried looking this up and it's been frustrating after trying several options and blowing several fuses.  I have done this before for my Suzuki and it was simple to follow the diagram provided, so where am I going wrong?
MOOT Forum Registration / Re: My intro just joined.
« Last post by TLRam1 on February 05, 2018, 03:07:19 AM »
Welcome, pot up some photos of your purchase.
MOOT Forum Registration / Re: My intro just joined.
« Last post by hootmon on February 04, 2018, 10:51:39 PM »
Welcome from Tampa Bay
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10