Magna Owners Of Texas
December 22, 2014, 11:46:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Please read the announcements if you would like to join the MOOT Forum.  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Has anyone added anything to thie Magna to make it go faster??  (Read 4041 times)
swader

« on: February 18, 2010, 12:47:57 PM »

I am looking out online, and can't find anyone out there doing this... I was wondering if anyone had put some custom exhaust, maybe to put sport exhaust on there somehow merged the two pipes on each side to one on each side and throw on some twin bros., but cant find that either.... is there anything out there?? has anyone changed their gears? added a 6th somehow?i love the bike so much that i dont want to leave it, but im thinking about it cause i want more speed more suck back.. SOMETHING! please let me know if anyone is suffering from the same thing I am.. Thank you...

1999 Magna North Richland Hills Tx
lragan
MOOTMag Committee
Full Throttle Contributor

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 01:14:17 PM »

Well, you get a little more power with the combination:

Atermarket low back pressure exhaust -- Jardines, Cobra, others
K&N Air filter to replace the Honda stock filter
Rejet and reshim the carbs.

I have done this to both my '96 Magnas.

Probably more noticeable than an increase in peak power or torque is the torque curve gets boosted in mid range so the power gets applied more smoothly.

Lots of folks try different sprockets front, back or both.  Doesn't increase the power, of course, but can trade off acceleration and speed.

Personally, I am not infected with "the need for speed".  Both of my Magnas are plenty fast for me Shocked Shocked Laughing Laughing

Lawrence
'96 Blue Austin TX
Ride to Live, Live to Ride longer Wear a Helmet
hootmon
Honorary MOOT Member
MOOT Super Contributor

'94 Yellow Magna, Safety Harbor, Fl.

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 02:04:00 PM »

When I bought my Magna it had a 16/43 sprocket combination (stock is 16/40). When I changed out the sprockets I went back to stock.. There is a difference.. As Lawrence said, it's a trade off..
Faster start off the line, but not as much speed at red line (shift sooner).. The engine also runs faster when out on the highway.. What's the difference on the highway?? I used to run 55MPH at 4000 RPM.. Now I run about 62 at the same RPM.. Since I do quite a bit of touring, the stock set up is better for me.

If you want to play with the sprockets, I'd start with replacing the 16 tooth sprocket with a 15 tooth. This will give you about the same ratio I had, but the front sprocket is cheaper (smaller) and you probably won't need to replace the chain with a longer one..
IF you really want it to scream and don't want to go out on the highway for long distances, then you could go 15/43..

I have a K&N and I've drilled a 3/8" hole in the rear of each exhaust stack.. This did not require the re-jetting, but I did add a shim to the needle.
SuperTrap has some nice sporty mufflers as well as Jardine and Cobra. Each will require the re-jet.. There is lots of info on the right jets with which pipes, so do some searching on the site...

IF $$$ is absolutely no object, then contact Dave Dodge.. He can probably do some head work, etc.. But, IF you need to go that fast, then you probably either need more than a 750cc or need to go with a sport bike..

Let us know what you decide.

"accidents aren't predictable, don't be a DUMBASS" - MD Dan
drkngas
MOOT Member
4th Gear Contributor

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 04:45:29 PM »

I agree with HOOT, Your ready for a sport bike.   I have Cobra exhaust, Cobra stg 1 card kits, K&N, kevlar clutch.  That got rid of the mid rpm lag and allows for a pretty hard launch.  I just got in from a ride and todays weather really agrees with that setup.  Plenty fast for me!

David Morris-Katy, TX
MOOT#362
Goners:74Yamaha 125AT2, 81Suzuki 250T, 81Honda GL500I, 84Magna 700, 84Honda Nighthawk, 96Magna Deluxe.
Now:05 Royal Star Tour Deluxe
Magnum Magna
MOOT Member

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 04:59:13 PM »

I apologize but don't remember which Magna you have.
Dave Dodge is the way to go.

Robert
Better to be exploited then not exploited.
07 Ultra, 07 Boulevard w/ sidecar (2+2=4)

Matthew 13:19 NT ... This is the seed sown along the path
Charles S Otwell
MOOT Member

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 09:25:27 PM »

To make it go faster than what?  Very Happy
Where do want the speed, 1/4 mile racing or top end? I'm not sure where you ride, but there is not many places around my area that you can race top end without getting a ticket Cool, and in the quarter mile, comparisons from past articles the 750 Magna finished between the Valkyrie and the VTX 1800 in the quarter mile. Pick you up a good V-65 Magna for those days you need to let er rip, for a fraction of the cost of anything you could do to the 750, and still not run with the V-65. Other than that I concur, a crotch rocket would be the best adrenalin rush for the money.  Cool

Charles
Texarkana,Tx
a65bug
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 10:16:30 PM »

Yeah, I second what Charles said, pick up a V65, it'll keep you grinning for a while and be more comfortable than a crotch rocket when you're not ripping through corners...
L J VFR
MOOT Member
5th Gear Contributor

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 07:31:58 AM »

I agree with HOOT, Your ready for a sport bike.   I have Cobra exhaust, Cobra stg 1 card kits, K&N, kevlar clutch.  That got rid of the mid rpm lag and allows for a pretty hard launch.  I just got in from a ride and todays weather really agrees with that setup.  Plenty fast for me!

I once owned a 2001 Honda magna. Great bike, but I ride alone and wanted something more sporty.  I went and bought a Honda VFR.  Not a crotch rocket. Very comfortable to ride. And the gear driven cam v4 engine is unbelievably smooth and powerful (97-100 rwhp).  Insurance is cheap because it is considered a Sport Tourer.  If my wife would ride with me, I would have never gotten rid of the magna.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 08:15:13 AM by L J VFR » Logged

LANCE JOHNSON

2003 Honda VTX 1800 C (FORMALLY 2001 HONDA MAGNA)
LOWELL ARKANSAS        MOOT# 659

Me, my uncle, and my brother somewhere on the Talimena ride during Mootmag 6.
guywheatley
MOOT Member
4th Gear Contributor

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 08:12:00 AM »

Q - What do you add to a Magna to make it go faster?

A - Bob Barram.   Razz

Haven't seen him on here lately. I guess now that he's on a British bike, he doesn't hang out with us upstarts from the colonies.

I'd rather be outside than in.
Guy
L J VFR
MOOT Member
5th Gear Contributor

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 08:17:41 AM »

Q - What do you add to a Magna to make it go faster?

A - Bob Barram.   Razz

Haven't seen him on here lately. I guess now that he's on a British bike, he doesn't hang out with us upstarts from the colonies.

Pretty good Guy, +1

LANCE JOHNSON

2003 Honda VTX 1800 C (FORMALLY 2001 HONDA MAGNA)
LOWELL ARKANSAS        MOOT# 659

Me, my uncle, and my brother somewhere on the Talimena ride during Mootmag 6.
roboto65
MOOT Website/Forum Sponsor
MOOT Member

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 08:49:33 AM »

Just talked to Bob you all are in trouble  Shocked Shocked Laughing Laughing

Allen Rugg 
76 Jeep CJ

The adventure begins where your plans fall through.
TLRam1
MOOT Member
MOOT Super Contributor

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 11:08:12 AM »

Pretty good Guy, +1

Don't tell HIM that.

Terry

My mama always told me never put off till tomorrow people you can kill today.

Allen, TX.

74 GT750 - 75 GT380 – 01 & 97 Magna - 03 KX 250-01 – 01 WR 250 – 04 WR 450 - 74 T500 Titan
rjb/AKA Bob Barram
MOOT Member
5th Gear Contributor

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 08:36:49 PM »

If you think I am fast you should try following Curtis, Terry or Greg......

MOOT#69
Prov. 3:5&6
TLRam1
MOOT Member
MOOT Super Contributor

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2010, 11:34:31 PM »

If you think I am fast you should try following Curtis, Terry or Greg......

I seem to forget...what's the name of your bike again?  Confused

Terry

My mama always told me never put off till tomorrow people you can kill today.

Allen, TX.

74 GT750 - 75 GT380 – 01 & 97 Magna - 03 KX 250-01 – 01 WR 250 – 04 WR 450 - 74 T500 Titan
swader

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 04:16:45 PM »

Thank you all for the feedback. I ride in North Richland Hills, by Ft Worth and I thought my bike was in my sig.. guess not, but i have a 99 Magna, and I was talking to my Dad, and I was thinking I was just outgrowing my bike, because it seemed like my bike was laggin to pick up speed. But then I was thinking, this bike hasnt had a tune up i think ever, it has about 16xxx miles on it. I change the oil frequently, and maintain the bike, but maybe get the carbs cleaned out, maybe this will restore some HP, and ill be happy again. 

Though, are there any transmissions out there that will fit with 6 gears? j/w thx

1999 Magna North Richland Hills Tx
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: