Go Down Skip to main content

Author Topic: Howdy, I'm Grandpaul from Laredo, TX

g
    • Born Again Bikes
Howdy, I'm Grandpaul from Laredo, TX
OP: June 16, 2012, 11:33:40 AM
I've been riding for over 40 years, wrenching on bikes for about as long.

I opened my restoration shop called "Born Again Bikes" (link in my signature) in 2005. I mainly do British bikes, but I've done a fair share of Japanese bikes and the odd Euro stuff.

Born and raised in Laredo, and have been riding the Texas hill country for at least 25 years; I've also ridden in 13 other states.

I am a member of CMA (Christian Motorcyclists Assn), ride with the Brit Iron Rebels Worldwide, and am a regular at the BMOA New Ulm rallye and Texas Mile at Beeville.

My wyfe, Sally, also rides, as do my older sons. We're about to adopt a new boy, that'll make 5 kids, and we have a new grandson, that makes 6 grandkids.

I'm whittling down my collection in anticipation of moving up to the Austin area; I recently gave my older boys 3 bikes each, so I'm down to 36 bikes now (if you count projects in-work).

I've race vintage bikes with the American Historic Racing Motorcycle Assn. (AHRMA). I scratch-built a '69 Triumph Bonneville 650 to Historic Production Heavyweight specs (finished 5th out of 20 riders in the class in 2008 as a rookie), and have also raced my 72 Rickman Montesa 250 in VMX Sprortsman 250 class, a borrowed Kawasaki 500 triple in Formula 500 (3rd place in the championship in 2008), and ridden "monkey" in an LCR Suzuki GSXR1000 in Formula 1 sidecar (2010 class champions).

I'm right in the middle of restoring Scott's '82 magna, and will start a new project thread on that, updated back to the beginning. If you stretch the rules, I have an '83 Interceptor, so that's pretty close to a Magna...

That's me, happy to be here.
  • IP logged
-GrandPaul
Proprietor of Born Again Bikes Refurbs & restorations
Author, "Old Bikes"

• 1st Gear Contributor
Re: Howdy, I'm Grandpaul from Laredo, TX
#1: June 17, 2012, 08:41:26 PM
Howdy, and welcome to MOOT.
  • IP logged
-Snoopy

Current ride:
'00 Valkyrie Interstate (GL1500)
Graveyard:
'94 Magna (VF750)
'01 Magna (VF750C)

• MOOT Member
  • Full Throttle Contributor
    • http://www.geocities.com/bible101a/
#2: June 20, 2012, 02:38:16 PM
Welcome to the MOOT. Sounds like you will be able to contribute help and and get detail help with your Magna project for Scott. How do you work out insurance for that many bikes or is it cheaper by the dozen. LOL
  • IP logged
Robert
Better to be exploited then not exploited.
07 Ultra, 07 Boulevard w/ sidecar (2+2=4)

Matthew 13:19 NT ... This is the seed sown along the path

• MOOT Member
  • 5th Gear Contributor
#3: June 20, 2012, 03:13:12 PM
Welcome Grandpaul!
I had 3 Magnas until I got my Triumph Rocket III.
Since you say you are moving up to Austin I guess you are farther away than ever from DFW, too bad...
  • IP logged
MOOT#69
Prov. 3:5&6

g
    • Born Again Bikes
#4: June 23, 2012, 08:12:35 PM
I used to insure 3 bikes per policy, and I once had four policies active (12 bikes total) before our daughter was born 6 years ago. Now I have one bike fully legal, and 3 or 4 that I update during the year when riding gets better and/or classic bike rallies where I'll be wanting to tour the area.

I have tried and tried to get a single policy that will cover me on any bike, as I can only ride one at a time; no can do. It's a rip-off.
  • IP logged
-GrandPaul
Proprietor of Born Again Bikes Refurbs & restorations
Author, "Old Bikes"

• 1st Gear Contributor
#5: June 24, 2012, 01:42:04 AM
I have tried and tried to get a single policy that will cover me on any bike, as I can only ride one at a time; no can do. It's a rip-off.

You mean you can't just get liability insurance for any motorcycle?  I guess I never thought about this as I only insure one bike so far.
  • IP logged
-Snoopy

Current ride:
'00 Valkyrie Interstate (GL1500)
Graveyard:
'94 Magna (VF750)
'01 Magna (VF750C)

• MOOT Member
  • Full Throttle Contributor
    • http://www.geocities.com/bible101a/
#6: July 01, 2012, 02:10:39 PM
I learned last week if you are a member of a club like Honda you can get a large discount on your bike insurance.
I am not happy with the Honda shop near me for not telling me about this.
  • IP logged
Robert
Better to be exploited then not exploited.
07 Ultra, 07 Boulevard w/ sidecar (2+2=4)

Matthew 13:19 NT ... This is the seed sown along the path

• MOOT Member
  • MOOT Super Contributor
  • MOOT Website/Forum Sponsor
#7: July 01, 2012, 02:57:54 PM
Depends on the insurance. Your old insurance company might not have the more attractive rates for your Harley.
  • IP logged
Terry

My mama always told me never put off till tomorrow people you can kill today.

Allen, TX.

74 GT750 - 75 GT380 – 01 Magna - 03 KX 250-01 – 04 WR 450 - 74 T500 Titan

• MOOTMag Committee
  • MOOT Super Contributor
    • Lawrence's Homepage
#8: July 01, 2012, 10:04:34 PM
Both Geico and State Farm will insure both my bikes for the price of one. Liability only.  Like you say, you can only ride one at a time.  Geico was lowest price as stand alone policy -- $100/year, but since I have other insurance with State Farm, when you add up the multiple policy discounts, it comes out slightly cheaper with State Farm.
  • IP logged
Lawrence
'96 Blue Austin TX
Ride to Live, Live to Ride longer Wear a Helmet

Go Up