Go Down Skip to main content

Author Topic: New Forum Member - 3rd time for the Magna

• MOOT Member
  • New Rider
New Forum Member - 3rd time for the Magna
OP: March 04, 2013, 07:12:35 PM
Howdy!

Cliff from Round Rock, TX.  Just joined the forum. 

My '98 Magna has belonged to 2 other members here, Lee Kessinger and John Berwick.

I rode some when I was younger, but never owned my own bike.  My friends knew that if they left the keys in theirs, it was gone.  I guess it is an age thing or something, but I wanted to be able to ride again, so I started looking.  Took my safety class and kept looking.  My mom was visiting my uncle and told him that insanity must run in the family as I was wanting a motorcycle.  My uncle always loved riding.  My first memory of riding was sitting in front of him on a Harley in the early '60s. My uncle was suffering from lung issues at the time and told my mom to have me call him.

John Berwick was my uncle.  He gave me the bike in December 2012.  He passed away at home with his immediate family on Jan. 19, 2013.  I went for a ride that day and had to stop several times because I couldn't see the road through the tears.  My aunt told me that when I pulled away from the house in December, John cried because he knew he would never be able to ride again.  I told her that was not true, he rides with me every time.

John told me about MOOT and even gave me his shirt and hat.  He told me that I should become part of this group, just for the information and resources.  I hope to be more involved than that as time allows.  Still getting experience riding and look to make some destination trips this spring and summer. 

Thanks for letting me tell my story.

Cliff

P.S. I have sent emails about being a MOOT member, but have not gotten any responses.  I did get added to the forum, but not listed as member.
  • IP logged
We are the people our parents warned us about....

Cliff

• MOOT Member
  • 5th Gear Contributor
  • MOOT Website/Forum Sponsor
Re: New Forum Member - 3rd time for the Magna
#1: March 04, 2013, 08:57:59 PM
Welcome to MOOT and if you look in the members section you will see that you are listed as a member. We have our MOOTmag in June at Turnerfalls OK check it out on the site and come if you can you will enjoy it. Once again welcome to the site.
  • IP logged
MOOT#428
Arlington, Texas
I'm not young enough to know everything

• Honorary MOOT Member
  • MOOT Super Contributor
  • '94 Red Magna, '02 Black Magna
#2: March 04, 2013, 09:08:07 PM
Welcome from Tampa Bay, Floriduh...
Sorry for your loss...
Thanx for sharing...
  • IP logged
"accidents aren't predictable, don't be a DUMBASS" - MD Dan

• MOOT Member
  • Full Throttle Contributor
    • http://www.geocities.com/bible101a/
#3: March 04, 2013, 10:24:31 PM
Welcome to the MOOT.  Awesome story.  I alway like to hear how one gets from there to here.
Some times I wonder if motercycle do run in the family. I know there is and has been a lot of riders in my family.

• IP logged
Robert
Better to be exploited then not exploited.
07 Ultra, 07 Boulevard w/ sidecar (2+2=4)

Matthew 13:19 NT ... This is the seed sown along the path

• MOOT Member
  • MOOT Super Contributor
  • MOOT Website/Forum Sponsor
#4: March 05, 2013, 01:13:00 AM
Welcome Cliff!

A sad day when your uncle passed, one door closed and another opened for yourself, not the way you envisioned but the way the higher power saw it.

You have good company in your neck of the woods....one being the helpful Lawrence who will pop in shortly.   

Take it slow and easy, don't try to keep up with the more experienced, time for that later.
  • IP logged
Terry

My mama always told me never put off till tomorrow people you can kill today.

Allen, TX.

74 GT750 - 75 GT380 – 01 Magna - 03 KX 250-01 – 04 WR 450 - 74 T500 Titan

• MOOTMag Committee
  • MOOT Super Contributor
    • Lawrence's Homepage
#5: March 05, 2013, 06:16:01 PM
Hello, Cliff,

I live about half way between Oak Hill and Driftwood, so we are not that far apart.  I have not been riding as much this spring as I like to, due to a major repaint on my carport/workshop/mother-in-law apartment.  The end, however, is in sight.

My grandson, 18 years old, just started riding, and we ride together occasionally.  I am co-hosting a reunion for my high school class the first weekend in April, and plan to ride out west to check out the wildflower bloom a few days prior.  Will let you know in advance, and you are welcome to ride along.

I cannot imagine a finer parting gift that an uncle could bestow than the one you are riding.  In time, the pain will subside, but the legacy will endure.  May God ease your transition.
  • IP logged
Lawrence
'96 Blue Austin TX
Ride to Live, Live to Ride longer Wear a Helmet

• 1st Gear Contributor
#6: March 07, 2013, 11:30:56 AM
Welcome Cliff.  If you can manage it, MootMAG #11 will be a *great* introduction to MOOT and motorcycling.  I'm guessing there will be a caravan riding up from your area that you could join.  One of the greatest things about MOOT is that they don't leave *anybody* behind.
  • IP logged
-Snoopy

Current ride:
'00 Valkyrie Interstate (GL1500)
Graveyard:
'94 Magna (VF750)
'01 Magna (VF750C)

• 1st Gear Contributor
  • I rode her nearly every day for 16 yrs.
#7: March 17, 2013, 09:42:24 PM
Welcome to the forum, Cliff.  These are a wonderful collection of riders with an abundance of knowledge and experience.  Sorry to hear of your loss.  I wish you many hours of safe riding enjoyment.
  • IP logged
Mike
1999 VF750C, bought new and untitled 2001.
227,401 miles, by the grace of God!!!
This is truly a magnificent machine!
2015 Kaw Concours, bought new & untitled 2017

• 1st Gear Contributor
  • Member #602, not a Sunday rider.
#8: March 18, 2013, 02:06:43 PM
Welcome, Cliff! Congratulations on the new bike, though bittersweet how it came to you. I'm right near you, living and working on the North side of Austin. I ride pretty much daily and in most weather, you might see me pedaling around my red and black Magna or blue Triumph Sprint around Parmer or 183. I'll be riding up for MOOTmag in June if you're interested in joining us. I'm also planning on taking a stab at an Iron Butt ride next week, but that's probably a little soon for you.   :smile: Let me know if you need a hand with anything, I'm also pretty handy with a wrench.

- Jeff
  • IP logged
My garage runneth over...
14 Zero S ZF 8.5
08 VFR800fi
08 Kawasaki KLE650 Versys - For Sale
09 CRF230L
97 VF750CD - SOLD!

• MOOT Member
  • 5th Gear Contributor
#9: March 25, 2013, 12:13:00 PM
Welcome, Cliff, good to have you here and hear your story. Check in everyday and look for an opportunity to jump in!
  • IP logged
MOOT#69
Prov. 3:5&6

Go Up