Go Down Skip to main content

Author Topic: MOOT forum maintenance

M
  • Administrator
  • MOOT Super Contributor
  • There's more to life than increasing its speed.
    • Magna Owners of Texas
MOOT forum maintenance
OP: May 19, 2015, 09:26:55 AM
Happy forums to you!

Over the past several days much work has been performed on the MOOT forum.  The greatest of which is the update of the forum software from version 1 to version 2 and the addition of some pretty hefty spam filters.  Thanks to Jesse for getting all that done!!

In addition we've filtered out the majority if not all of the users who have registered as members but never used the forum as a member.  We've dropped the members list down from 19 pages to 7 pages.  This not only speeds up the forum but allows the admin team to send out announcements to our members on relevant subjects without worrying about getting blacklisted for sending out spam.  We've also pruned down the number of active topics.  These would include topics that haven't seen a post in many months and whose posts that were not relevant to the over all browsing experience of our members.  Don't worry, topics such as garage and past MOOT MaGs have not been touched.

Some minor enhancements are enabling the forum to automatically send out birthday wishes to those members whose birthday it is.

The admins of the MOOT forum hope that the enhancements we've done increase the pleasure of the overall experience of visiting the MOOT forum.

If you have any suggestions about how we can make the forum better for our member please don't hesitate to contact any of the administrative staff.

Happy riding and don't forget -- MOOT MaG13 is just around the corner!!

Marc

• IP logged
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 09:28:55 AM by Marc Albea »
Marc
MOOT #82
Webmaster

'85 Magna V30 - Sold
'85 Magna V65 - Big Bird (On Steroids) - In the capable hand of Mr. Dodge!
'98 Valkyrie Tourer - Loki - Sold
'00 Valkyrie Interstate

• 1st Gear Contributor
  • Member #602, not a Sunday rider.
Re: MOOT forum maintenance
#1: May 20, 2015, 09:58:14 AM
Thanks so much for your work on this, guys! I'm glad we have someone like you looking after the site!

Any idea what's involved with Tapatalk integration? I've messed with it a bit on other forums but don't know much about it, especially on the nuts and bolts (and subscription cost?) side. It's a neat little app though, makes keeping up with multiple forums easy from a mobile device...
  • IP logged
My garage runneth over...
14 Zero S ZF 8.5
08 VFR800fi
08 Kawasaki KLE650 Versys - For Sale
09 CRF230L
97 VF750CD - SOLD!

M
  • Administrator
  • MOOT Super Contributor
    • Magna Owners of Texas
#2: May 20, 2015, 10:45:22 AM
Any idea what's involved with Tapatalk integration?

From what I have been able to determine there are a couple of more commonly used smartphone adaptations available.  One, which you've already alluded to is the Tapatalk app.  The other is called SMF4Mobile.  It appears that either one would work on the forum.  SMF4Mobile costs 20 bucks and just installs as a theme.  Of course you'd have to select that theme for your forum viewing but once selected it apparently determines whether you are using the forum from your desktop or from your mobile phone and adapts accordingly.

The Tapatalk mod seems to be a pretty straightforward installation and doesn't appear to cost anything although I've not drilled down to determine if there are any hidden fees involved.  You basically install the mod to your forum and add a couple of tweaks to various files.  Once installed you have to register your forum with Tapatalk in order to be able to see it when you are in the Tapatalk app.

There may be more than just these two but these seem to be the most popular.

I believe that Jesse (MagnaMan) is already looking at the possibility of some sort of smartphone integration app/theme and was going to do some more on it this weekend.

Marc
  • IP logged
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 10:50:04 AM by Marc Albea »
Marc
MOOT #82
Webmaster

'85 Magna V30 - Sold
'00 Valkyrie Interstate

• Administrator
  • 4th Gear Contributor
#3: May 20, 2015, 11:19:11 AM
I was looking at the mobile theme you mentioned, Marc.

I like the idea of not requiring/needing an app for access, especially because that restricts us to Android and iPhones generally.  Mobile right from ANY device is cool, and the mobile theme would do that. 

I'm familiar with Tapatalk. And my bet is that it's probably not "free" open source like our forum software. If there are no actual costs, then it may data mine at some point. So I'm for plunking down $20.

What do you think?  If you want to go ahead and proceed with installing it and setting it up, go for it!
  • IP logged
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 12:49:05 PM by MagnaMan »
Jesse
Moot #358
'99 Magna (Halloween theme paint job)
Racetech Cartridge Emulators in front forks, Progressive 444s on the rear. Best mods I've ever made to this bike.
Houston

M
  • Administrator
  • MOOT Super Contributor
    • Magna Owners of Texas
#4: May 20, 2015, 01:05:15 PM
For 20 bucks I'm willing to download and install just to see how it works and looks.  I'll probably do this sometime over the remainder of the week.....

Marc
  • IP logged
Marc
MOOT #82
Webmaster

'85 Magna V30 - Sold
'00 Valkyrie Interstate

• Administrator
  • 4th Gear Contributor
#5: May 20, 2015, 01:31:47 PM
Cool.

Oh and I emailed the theme creator last weekend. SMF for mobile has a mod in it that does mobile device detection. So the forum is supposed to automatically switch themes depending upon the device.

The next version of SMF (2.1) is supposed to have device detection built in too. But for now we try the one that comes with the mobile theme.

When everything is running mechanically sound, we can take a look at making them match more closely in appearance. Both this theme and the mobile one have the "flat" design which is the trend right now. So we may just need to coordinate color values.
  • IP logged
Jesse
Moot #358
Racetech Cartridge Emulators in front forks, Progressive 444s on the rear. Best mods I've ever made to this bike.
Houston

• 1st Gear Contributor
#6: May 21, 2015, 10:18:45 AM
I looked up SMF4Mobile and it looks really slick on both my iPhone and iPad. This would be a great addition. My main interest in Tapatalk, though, is its ability to concatenate multiple forums into one interface and stream notifications and updates to mobile os hooks. If there are concerns or additional admin headaches involved with it then I certainly understand not using it, but it sure would be nice to add this forum to the stream I already have v4musclebike and electricmotorcycleforum feeds running with...

Not complaining (really), just suggesting and pointing out potential benefits...
  • IP logged
14 Zero S ZF 8.5
08 VFR800fi
09 CRF230L
97 VF750CD - SOLD!

• Administrator
  • 4th Gear Contributor
#7: May 21, 2015, 12:30:05 PM
We can definitely look into TapATalk as well. I just want to make sure it's not data mining our forum users.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I am also going to have to check out the electric motorcycle forum. I've been a big fan ever since I rode the Electricross which was the early brand/prototype of the Zero.
  • IP logged
Jesse
Moot #358
Houston

• 1st Gear Contributor
#8: May 25, 2015, 12:25:56 PM
I am also going to have to check out the electric motorcycle forum. I've been a big fan ever since I rode the Electricross which was the early brand/prototype of the Zero.

EMF is pretty good, I've been generally pretty happy with that community. There are a few trolls, but anything that big is gonna' have 'em.

You've gotta' find a Zero to jump on for a test ride. They've come a long way from the early days! Better yet, come up to Mena and take mine for a spin!
  • IP logged
14 Zero S ZF 8.5
08 VFR800fi
09 CRF230L
97 VF750CD - SOLD!

• Administrator
  • 4th Gear Contributor
#9: May 28, 2015, 12:13:11 PM
I'm trying to make Mena happen so I will definitely take you up on that if I can make it up there.
  • IP logged
Jesse
Moot #358
Houston

Go Up