Go Down Skip to main content

Author Topic: New Member, Fairview TX

L
New Member, Fairview TX
OP: March 27, 2016, 02:46:26 PM
Just joined a few weeks ago.  Started riding 2 years ago at 56; only had experience with pedal bikes before that.  Started out with a 98 magna and soon after added an 86 v65 to my garage which soon became my favored daily rider.  I like the v65 because it is a survivor.  Very few know what it is.  I found a NOS Vetter Bullet in Canada and with that installed, it looks really sweey.  With 64k on the odometer, the v65 motor is still strong and if the body and spirit hadn't become a bit soft, it would still probably smoke anything on 2 wheels out there  Unfortunately both bikes are laid up for maintenance issues at the moment.  The 98 needs new fork seals and the 86 needs the same plus a starter.
  • IP logged

• MOOT Member
  • MOOT Super Contributor
  • MOOT Website/Forum Sponsor
Re: New Member, Fairview TX
#1: March 27, 2016, 03:12:34 PM
Welcome aboard !
  • IP logged
Terry

My mama always told me never put off till tomorrow people you can kill today.

Allen, TX.

74 GT750 - 75 GT380 – 01 Magna - 03 KX 250-01 – 04 WR 450 - 74 T500 Titan

• Honorary MOOT Member
  • MOOT Super Contributor
  • '94 Red Magna, '02 Black Magna
#2: March 27, 2016, 04:34:37 PM

I'll just throw a couple things out...
V65 - Make sure the fork brace has been replaced. They are known for cracking and causing a death wobble at high speed.
I know it's different, but I've had starter issues on my 3rd gen and was able to buy a rebuild kit on e-bay for $18 and rebuild it myself. A whole lot better than cost for new or used...
Also on the V65, there was a top end oiling issue.. There is an oiler kit that pumps oil up to the top end, you might want to check into that..

Welcome!
  • IP logged
"accidents aren't predictable, don't be a DUMBASS" - MD Dan

L
#3: March 28, 2016, 02:15:48 PM
I read a lot of differing opinions about the top.end oiling issue on v65. Two considerations have kept me from pulling the trigger. First, I only gave $900 for the bike as a non runner that after a new battery,  3 wire fix and fresh fuel became my daily rider. Hard to justify nearly 1/3 the cost of the bike when it has 64K on the odometer which is my second consideration.

I've always wondered if that issue was the result of individuals not checking the oil level correctly. Checking the oil with the dipstick screwed in versus setting on the top.shorts the engine of considerable oil.when it barely has a capacity of 3 quarts to begin with. Add a high capacity Mobil oil.filter even makes matters worse.
  • IP logged

• MOOT Member
  • MOOT Super Contributor
  • MOOT Website/Forum Sponsor
#4: March 28, 2016, 11:54:43 PM
Post up in the Garage Section and you will get more opinions.
  • IP logged
Terry

My mama always told me never put off till tomorrow people you can kill today.

Allen, TX.

74 GT750 - 75 GT380 – 01 Magna - 03 KX 250-01 – 04 WR 450 - 74 T500 Titan

Go Up